electrical issues...turn signals

my 90 elim is mad at me.

when I got it, I didn't get a key with it. so, I tore down the column so I could bring it home.

when I put the column back together, the turn signals weren't working. so, I tested a couple of spare turn signal switches that I had on it. none of those were working.

went to check the fuses to find that they are now inline, and I do have power. someone has repaired the fusebox before.

When it's running, with the lights on, both signals on the gauges are stuck on...but when I flip the turn signal switch, the one I flip it to will turn off...but the signals won't actually work. with the lights off, they still won't work.

any ideas?

When the turn indicators on the gauge cluster are stuck on, it usually means the sockets don't have a ground and they are backfeeding through the circuit to find a ground through the dashboard. Trying to use the turns interrupts that cycle.

I would start by checking the front parking light sockets, and the front ground to the chassis.

When the turn indicators on the gauge cluster are stuck on, it usually means the sockets don't have a ground and they are backfeeding through the circuit to find a ground through the dashboard. Trying to use the turns interrupts that cycle.

I would start by checking the front parking light sockets, and the front ground to the chassis.

grr. it worked before :(

and it hasn't really even moved since I brought it home.

I've got the constant indicator lights, where is the front chassis ground? I replaced the block to firewall ground.

The flashers and turn signal dual filament bulbs in the sockets use a common socket ground. Since Jeepco has done some column work, and that's where the turn signal grounds to the flasher are generated by the multifunction switch, I'd think the most logical cause would be to do continuity checks on the column m/f switch or harness. But anything is possible if there are ground loops causing backfeeds. That's what makes it so much fun to figger it out. :D

The flashers and turn signal dual filament bulbs in the sockets use a common socket ground. Since Jeepco has done some column work, and that's where the turn signal grounds to the flasher are generated by the multifunction switch, I'd think the most logical cause would be to do continuity checks on the column m/f switch or harness. But anything is possible if there are ground loops causing backfeeds. That's what makes it so much fun to figger it out. :D

yeah, but I have tried several different switches with no improvement (read: have hooked up the electrical of several other columns and no change)

yeah, but I have tried several different switches with no improvement (read: have hooked up the electrical of several other columns and no change)

then it has to be somewhere in the wiring, between the column and the socket. maybe when you tore the column apart, you pulled something loose, further down, that is now shorting out. i would trace the wires from the sockets back to the column and see what you find. (i would assume the main wire goes to the drivers side corner, then jumps across to the pass. side, but you know what they say about assuming things.....)

Lets see if I got the chain of events down right here,

Your signals worked before you pulled the column apart.

Now the dash indicators come on and no signals and the dash indicator on the side you choose goes out.

You've swaped turn signal switches and no difference.

Your emergency flashers work.

Ok, since the emergency flashers use much of the same logic circuit that the signals do, I would say it probably is not the turn signal switch. They also have there own flasher module, so have you tried changing the flasher module for the turn signals? Sounds simple but from what you have described, I've had a bad module give the same symptoms. If that is not it, then you'll need to back trace your steps and see what you knocked loose or did wrong when you pulled the column apart.

:cheers:

yep, I've gone back over everything.

I'm NOT getting power at the turn signal flasher.

there's nothing that I knocked loose, so I'm assuming I probably blew out a fusible, or the clutch fluid finally did it's work there, too.