1987 Jeep Comanche 2wd to 4wd

A donor Cherokee with the same engine/trans/era would probably be the cheapest. But then you're not upgrading anything. Picking and choosing your parts from the junkyard may cost a bit more (or be more work), but then you get better-then-stock stuff.

I would focus on getting:

-an AX-15 trans

-axles with better gear ratios (at least 3.55)

-np-242 t-case for allwheeldrive capability

alright thats what mark said but to get a 231 transfer case

The 231 is very slightly stronger, which might be a concern if you plan to wheel hard with very large tires. Nonetheless, some of the guys in my chapter of NAXJA wheeled Chrokees with the 242 and never broke one. The 242 has all the same settings as the 231, PLUS the additional option of running in full-time 4WD on pavement. Having driven long-ish trips in blowing snow with a 231, I can tell you that constantly shifting into and out of 4WD as the road surface conditions change gets old in a hurry. The 242 is definitely the way to go.

I buy up almost every wrecked Jeep and especially XJ'S that I see or find, especially rolled ones. In a direct collision there is normally too much damage to mechanical components to be salvaged. However in a rollover the body absorbs most of the punishment and the drivetrain remains damage free. There are exceptions of course. So far I have converted a '89 MJ to 4wd using a '89XJ and a '87MJ using a '89XJ donor. I'm getting ready to do another '89 using a 2001 donor. Another advantage to buying the complete car over buying separate parts is you can start and run them, telling you what shape they're in.Buying the whole car from an individual is cheaper than buying individual parts from a JY. Plus you sell what you don't use. :cheers:

i think I'm gonna go with the 231 because i can switch from 2wd to 4hi and 4lo and not the 242 cause its all wheel drive

I think you need to re-read what Eagle said.

The 231 has

2HI - 4HI - N - 4LO

The 242 has

2HI - 4HI Full Time - 4HI Part Time - N - 4LO

i think I'm gonna go with the 231 because i can switch from 2wd to 4hi and 4lo and not the 242 cause its all wheel drive

I think you need to re-read what Eagle said.

The 231 has

2HI - 4HI - N - 4LO

The 242 has

2HI - 4HI Full Time - 4HI Part Time - N - 4LO

^^^ What he said. The 242 has ALL the same positions as the 231, PLUS the ADDITIONAL option of a full-time 4WD that can be driven on dry pavement. It is NOT always in AWD.