camper shel\topper fitment

Well i guess since my original post was what other boxes are close to a comanches and :dunce: NOT :dunce: what are my box dimensions :smart: Ill start with the tacomas and s10s since those are the only answers that fill my question. Thanks for your help.

Check around and see if any topper shops nearby are offering deals. The place here just quoted me a price of $450 for a new corrugated aluminum shell, $550 for smooth - that was lined, 3-piece front slider, full-length tinted slider side windows, available in either black, gray, red, or white. They take all the measurements off the truck and cut/assemble it there at the shop - so cab angle/height and fit are guaranteed to match.

Just another option to consider. I know a lot of guys don't like the aluminum shells, but for me they're fine - so I'm thinking about going this route. Seems like whenever I find a used topper in decent shape, people are asking $200-$300 anyways. So IMO the extra price looks worth it to get the good fit, and to avoid the time/hassles of going through the classifieds.

:agree:

I have a LEER if anyone wants it . Good condition 300.00 :yes:

However its not just the box dimensions but the height of the box thats the problem . I found about 5 different toppers that fit the

box dimension but not the height .

Your better off finding a topper company to make a custom top . They will match the body lines and cab line perfectly .

A friend of mine has a two door XJ that he converted to a two door convertible , not practical during the winter so he had a

custom top made that bolts right on and seals perfectly , looks bad@ss too ...

Check around and see if any topper shops nearby are offering deals. The place here just quoted me a price of $450 for a new corrugated aluminum shell, $550 for smooth - that was lined, 3-piece front slider, full-length tinted slider side windows, available in either black, gray, red, or white. They take all the measurements off the truck and cut/assemble it there at the shop - so cab angle/height and fit are guaranteed to match.

Just another option to consider. I know a lot of guys don't like the aluminum shells, but for me they're fine - so I'm thinking about going this route. Seems like whenever I find a used topper in decent shape, people are asking $200-$300 anyways. So IMO the extra price looks worth it to get the good fit, and to avoid the time/hassles of going through the classifieds.

However its not just the box dimensions but the height of the box thats the problem . I found about 5 different toppers that fit the

Your better off finding a topper company to make a custom top . They will match the body lines and cab line perfectly .

A friend of mine has a two door XJ that he converted to a two door convertible , not practical during the winter so he had a

Who made your buddys topper for him?

Thanks for the question. I'm headed to a large parking lot today at the Pick n Pull, just for information, with a tape measure

Wish I had a pick n pull around me! You better bring more than a tape measure. You might find a diamond in the rough. Let me know what you come up with.

I checked my friends Tacoma today. Bed measured 6'3" long. It also seems that the "bow" of the roof was different and the angles from the side are forward, not straight up and down. I also saw a decent Brahma shell on a SWB MJ today at the yard. Perfect fit. But it was the older style with the "bubble roof". Not my cup of tea...but may solve the height issue.

A custom shell would be great but might be spendy. Seems there are enough shells to go around at $200, keep looking.

Who made your buddys topper for him?

Any topper shop has manufacturers who make ( build - a - kit ) shells , I have built a couple myself back in the 90's .

When low rider trucks were in style :chillin:

They always had cool custom shells that sealed to the cab . I'm sure there are still a couple of manufacturers that make

or sell custom shell kits .

How bout a soft top topper? Anyone seen something like that running around? I have a shurco in the town I live in and I know they make products for best top. Maybe ill go ask them if I can get something made for a decent price.

i got an aluminum topper from a buddy that came off an old yota, it fit the bed dimentions but was too short in hight and the angle at the cab was wrong.

so i took it apart made it fit a long bed, used some steel studs 3.5" to space it up and adjusted the front angle and reskinned it. it was pretty simple cause there built with a bunch of self tappers. then a week later someone stole it off the truck :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Found a useful site regarding bed dimensions of various trucks:

http://www.kanopykingdom.com/truck_bed_size_charts.htm

It looks like the Ranger shortbed is pretty close to the MJ shortbed. There is a highrise (negates the cab height issue) one on CL near me I want to go check out.

Hornbrod, on your drawing it says 93> S-10. Is the 93+ S-10 a closer fit or the 82-92 S-10? Thanks

• 1 year later...

I guess I should clarify my reply since some folks seemed to take offense to it. I was not directing my reply to the OP, nor was I just coming back with a "smart a$$" reply. I simply think it is impractical to expect that you can just find a perfect fit by a model number and/or year without utilizing the tape measure (as in, measure twice or four times, cut once)

I just got a lesson on the importance of using a tape measure.

My 1991 Comanche long bed hasl had a SnugTop on it since it was new. Recently, the rear glass tailgate fell off. Lucky for me, a Comanche Club fellow posted a Craigs list add for a free Long Bed SnugTop shell only 320 miles away. I jumped on it and picked it up on Sunday morning. Surprise to me, it did not quit fit. It is wider at the front than my bed, so the front corner will not seat properly.

Since I still have the original SnugTop and the replacement, I will be able to measure the difference between two supposedly identical shells from the same Builder and for the same truck. I suspect I will find the orginal shell has some custom work to fit it with the Comanche dealer bed liner and the dealer no slip load mat.

• 4 years later...

Would it be possible to make ones own, if they had the parts and knew how to lay up fiberglass?

With enough time and money you can do just about anything.  The question is why would you want to make your own shell/topper?  You should be able to buy a used Comanche  shell/topper for much less $$ and time than it will take to make one from scratch.