s10 axle in a comanche?

Anyone ever tried to do a s10 axle swap? I have a 2001 s10 blazer and i hope to use it for parts. I was thinkin of usin the rear axle on my 86 xls but ive never heard of anyone tryin this swap. i plan on measuring the spring mouting plate later and seeing if it'll work.

You'll have to change the wheel pattern from the Chevy 5 on 4.75" to our 5 on 4.5".

If you have the 7.5-7.6" axle, it's about as strong as the D35, and not worth it.

If you have the 8.5", it's about s strong as a D44, but with C-clips.

I don't push the 8.8" swap (especially in an MJ, because of the width),

but I'd much rather swap an 8.8" in than even the larger of the two Chevy 10 bolts.

i rebuild a lot of s10 axles in the shop, i wouldn't bother. i wasn't aware of the two gm 10 bolt sizes, but i thought all the newer s10 and even smaller 1/2 tons had the smaller 10 bolt, they suck.

The ZR2's defiantly got the good 8.5" 10 bolt (it's wider too),

but yeah, my understanding is the majority of S-10's got the 7.5 & 7.6" axles.

Someone said the 'Extreem' S-10's got 8.5's too, but I'm far from a Chevy guy, so :dunno:

There is also a width issue, since I'm thinking S10 axles are even narrower than the 59ish Ford 8.8's. (other than the ZR2's)

not 100% but i think that most if not all of the 4.3 powered s10's and junior blazers have the 8.5 10 bolt, and the 2.5 and 2.8 trucks got the smaller ones.... i have a 91 sonoma 4.3 and the wife has a 99 blazer and they both have the 8.5... and a lot of the 1/2tons do have the 10 bolt, even the z71's... most of them that ive seen have had it with 3.55's but you can get them with a 14 bolt and 4.11's.... mine has the 14 bolt :brows: not sure why you would want to swap one into an mj though :dunno:, the 44 and the 8.25 are much better axles... where i work we run a fleet of 98 and 99 astro vans, all with around 200k miles and almost all of them needed axle rebuilds at or around 160k

not 100% but i think that most if not all of the 4.3 powered s10's and junior blazers have the 8.5 10 bolt, and the 2.5 and 2.8 trucks got the smaller ones.... i have a 91 sonoma 4.3 and the wife has a 99 blazer and they both have the 8.5... and a lot of the 1/2tons do have the 10 bolt, even the z71's... most of them that ive seen have had it with 3.55's but you can get them with a 14 bolt and 4.11's.... mine has the 14 bolt :brows: not sure why you would want to swap one into an mj though :dunno:, the 44 and the 8.25 are much better axles... where i work we run a fleet of 98 and 99 astro vans, all with around 200k miles and almost all of them needed axle rebuilds at or around 160k

I'm thinking its mostly "i have a turdy-five, and this blaver that i could part out.... :D ssdooit"

I got rid of my Suburban at around 165k. It had a 10 bolt 3.73 gears with the gov-lock. Still don't know how that thing survived the abuse I put it through, especially with 3000 pounds of weight on it empty, and loaded up with 6000 pounds of drywall at least once. Floor to ceiling 10 foot sheets...

Then again, my D35 survived this, even thought the springs did not.

I remember the ZR2 getting the 8.5", and them making a big deal about it at the time,

I also looked around before my second post, and saw some people in other threads referencing the 4.3L getting 8.5's too,

so I put it down to :dunno:

What is wearing out in the axles you're rebuilding?

carrier bearings, pinion bearings, gearsets?