Chevy 3.5L I5 conversions?

wyk

Hey guys, first time caller, long time listener here.

I now have in my possession a 2004 Colorado with a 3.5L I5 that runs fine(and has always used synthetic motor oil) and a recently rebuilt 4l60E transmission. The body is gonna be donated out, so I get all the running gear and chassis, including the interior. Is there a way to wedge this thing into a 1986 Comanche so I can finally be rid of this 2.8, or will it be far more pain than it is worth? Can I put these seats in my Comanche as well ;)

WYK

The concept of the I5 has always somewhat irked me. If you're going to go through the trouble of that... why not keep it Jeep and go for a 4.0... which, you know, has an even number of cylinders.

Nothing I would do, but certainly be a one of a kind.

that motor seems like a GREAT swap candidate... the thing is powerful as stink, and a fairly solid design from what ive experienced at the shop.

i say go for it.

The concept of the I5 has always somewhat irked me. If you're going to go through the trouble of that... why not keep it Jeep and go for a 4.0... which, you know, has an even number of cylinders.

Nothing I would do, but certainly be a one of a kind.

i work at a volvo specialty shop and 70% of our customer base is made up of 850s, s/v70s, s60s, s80s, or xc90s all of which either have to have or are available with an I5 and its a GREAT engine. no problems, smooth as glass, revvs beautifully and does very well for itself especially in turbo application. i see no reason why the chevy i5 would be irksome

Wow, this thread got hijacked fast. ;)

OK, guys. Thanks for the suggestions, but I have in my possession a 3.5L and not a 4.2 I do not intend to purchase an engine. The problem I see already is I have a 4X4, so the 4L60E is out unless I retrofit chevy running gear. So unless I can find a way to mate up this engine, this project is stillborn.

Well, I prolly can find a way to make use of the seats...

I had a 2007 Crew Cab 2wd Colorado for a rental once, but it was equipped with the 2.8 or 9L? 4 CYL version. I was totally expecting it to be a DOG.

I was shocked at how well it scooted around. If felt like a strong V6. Must have had very steep gearing, but it didn't turn hi rpms on the highway. I even popped the hood to check that it really was a 4-banger. :eek:

:agree:

Sell the I5 stuff, buy a used 3.4 and a 4bbl manifold and a 390cfm holley and have fun!

I think I may go and sell it. Is it worth a damn to put the intake and carb on the 2.8 until I can find the 3.4L, or is it too much carbeuretion for the 2.8?

:agree:

Sell the I5 stuff, buy a used 3.4 and a 4bbl manifold and a 390cfm holley and have fun!

I think I may go and sell it. Is it worth a damn to put the intake and carb on the 2.8 until I can find the 3.4L, or is it too much carbeuretion for the 2.8?

I think that manifold and carb would put the 2.8 to a spectacular death! If youre planning on doing this swap, just start gathering parts and do it when youre ready!

I think that manifold and carb would put the 2.8 to a spectacular death! If youre planning on doing this swap, just start gathering parts and do it when youre ready!

I am pretty easy on my rides. Even so, killing the 2.8 isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am more concerned of whether the mileage will be worse, and not better. I am much more concerned with mileage and reliability than speed. The carb is the original carb on this thing, afterall. So it's days are numbered.

Nice bike, btw. Always wanted an S1. Mebbe someone will trade me one for my driveline and chassis parts ;). BTW, can ya put a 3.4L that was tied to an auto in to a Comanche with a stick, or is the boss too difficult to machine?

I am pretty easy on my rides. Even so, killing the 2.8 isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am more concerned of whether the mileage will be worse, and not better. I am much more concerned with mileage and reliability than speed. The carb is the original carb on this thing, afterall. So it's days are numbered.

Nice bike, btw. Always wanted an S1. Mebbe someone will trade me one for my driveline and chassis parts ;). BTW, can ya put a 3.4L that was tied to an auto in to a Comanche with a stick, or is the boss too difficult to machine?

From what Ive read, You use your original 2.8 flywheel, but take it and have it nuetrally balanced.... it should bolt right up!

Thanks for the compliment on the bike! It is fun! But Id really love to have a softail or a roadking at this point, as I'm not as young as I used to be, but I won't get rid of the bike till I have another lined up. And that doesnt appear to be happening anytime soon.