Metric Ton

I recently purchased a one owner, incredibly maintained comanche with the metric ton package. its a 1989 pioneer edition with the bigger tires, bigger rear axle, looks like its already lifted etc.... only thing thats got me is that it was made for export and its a shortbed? anybody have anything on this? i didn't think they made a metric ton short bed-

Well, I didn't think they made SWB MTs either... but I also didn't know, until recently, that they made LWB Eliminators.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that MT Springs and a D44 were swapped in at some point, or the original owner didn't specifically request the MT package on a SWB.

They'd do whatever options you wanted if you paid them enough.

Does it have stickers/decals that say it's a Metric Ton, or does the VIN indicate that? I have a 1987 Pioneer that has tow hooks and a Dana 44 rear axle, but it isn't a Metric Ton.

If possible, post a photo of one of the rear springs ... from the side, so we can see the leaf layout.

I'm having alot of problems posting the images. Does a moderator have to approve of them before they are actually posted? when I preview the posted reply it only gives the url of the photos on my desktop.

I took a 3 pictures and would like to post them=

It does have a metric ton badge and the vin indicated it is a metric ton. Also, i'm located in eastern north carolina.

I'm having alot of problems posting the images. Does a moderator have to approve of them before they are actually posted? when I preview the posted reply it only gives the url of the photos on my desktop.

I took a 3 pictures and would like to post them=

It does have a metric ton badge and the vin indicated it is a metric ton. Also, i'm located in eastern north carolina.

You have to upload the photos to a photo hosting site first like Photobucket. Then you can post them.

got it

all the snow just melted so tis a little dirty

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I don't believe there were ever any metric ton shortbed comanches and if this truck was a metric ton it would have a Dana 44 rear axle. The rear axle in this truck is a Dana 35.

Not only that, but those badges on the tailgate are floating in no-mans land... They are usually riding the body line on the bottom of the tailgate.

Rob L.

Not only that, someone put several emblems on this truck that don't belong on it. The Comanches with the 4.0L never came with the Fuel Injection emblem on the tailgate. This emblem was only used with the 2.5L. The Pioneer emblems below the Comanche emblems on the fenders are not correct either. I don't believe the Comanche Pioneer had these emblems originally, they only had the striping and the word Pioneer on the rear of the bed. The Pioneer emblems came from a Cherokee. Someone obviously put the Metric Ton emblem on the tailgate also because this is not a Metric Ton Comanche.

My Mj has the Pioneer badge on it stock so that seams ok.

You are correct, the MJ's could come with either the striping or just the emblems. It wasn't a Cherokee only thing. Just that most came with the stripings. Also if I remember correctly, the Olympic Edition MJ's were primarily all Pioneers, but had the special gold pinstriping and got the Pioneer emblems along with the USA Olympic logo. I have been wrong in the past though, so don't quote me on that.

The Pioneer emblems below the Comanche emblems on the fenders are not correct either. I don't believe the Comanche Pioneer had these emblems originally, they only had the striping and the word Pioneer on the rear of the bed.

My 1987 SWB Pioneer has the chrome "Pioneer" on the front fenders below the "Comanche," exactly the same as my '88 Cherokee Pioneer. And the 87 has NO stripes. I bought it from the original owner's daughter, so I'm 99.37% certain it's original.