89 jeep cherokee

I'm looking to buy a cherokee 89 4,0L automatic white with gold trim

can anyone give me general specs on this truck

IE: trany, gear ratio

and my ONE question : can anyone tell me what type of fuel pump?? :dunno: is it the one with the flot assembly or not??

wich years is compatible to find one in a scrap yard

Transmission will be an Aisin-Warner AW-4.

Axle gear ratio will be 3.55:1

Dana 30 front, most likely Dana 35 rear, although you may have a Dana 44 if you're lucky and it's got a high end tow package. Chryco 8.25 is also a possibility if it's been swapped in.

Well you know your basics, 4.0 inline 6, dana 30 front, either dana 35 or D44 rear, AW4 auto tranny, more then likely 3:55 gears.

As for the fuel pump yes it has the pump and float assembly if that what your asking same pump up to 93 then they changed to a different style that doesn't use the ballast on the fender.

A Dana 44 is EXTREMELY unlikely in an '89 Cherokee.

If it has ABS, be advised that 1989 was the first year the XJ offered ABS and the system was a disaster. Most XJ fans (including me) recommend removing the ABS entirely and replacing with a standard brake system. The problem is that when the early XJ ABS system fails, it does NOT revert to standard (non-ABS) brakes. It defaults to NO brakes.

Brakes = Good.

No brakes = Bad.

Well you know your basics, 4.0 inline 6, dana 30 front, either dana 35 or D44 rear, AW4 auto tranny, more then likely 3:55 gears.

As for the fuel pump yes it has the pump and float assembly if that what your asking same pump up to 93 then they changed to a different style that doesn't use the ballast on the fender.

so anything up to 93 will fit ??

does that include grand gherokee

cuz I'm going tomorow to the junk yard to find one

The pump is replaceable inside the assembly though.

A Dana 44 is EXTREMELY unlikely in an '89 Cherokee.

If it has ABS, be advised that 1989 was the first year the XJ offered ABS and the system was a disaster. Most XJ fans (including me) recommend removing the ABS entirely and replacing with a standard brake system. The problem is that when the early XJ ABS system fails, it does NOT revert to standard (non-ABS) brakes. It defaults to NO brakes.

Brakes = Good.

No brakes = Bad.

This is true, also that ABS system has a chrysler lifetime warranty due to the recall they put on the systems.... there is no sense in trying to repair it, just replace, though here at the dealer we have to replace it with another rebuilt ABS system the same as the old.... they are a pain in the azz! If it has it, just replace it with a regular unit like stated above, you could even upgrade if you wanted to to a 96-96 style or WJ style!

This is true, also that ABS system has a chrysler lifetime warranty due to the recall they put on the systems.... there is no sense in trying to repair it, just replace, though here at the dealer we have to replace it with another rebuilt ABS system the same as the old.... they are a pain in the azz! If it has it, just replace it with a regular unit like stated above, you could even upgrade if you wanted to to a 96-96 style or WJ style!

The entire system is not covered by that lifetime warranty, only one or two of the components. And, frankly, knowing that when the system fails it will leave me with no brakes tells me the lifetime warranty is a sick joke. It won't help me if I'm dead.

The entire system is not covered by that lifetime warranty, only one or two of the components. And, frankly, knowing that when the system fails it will leave me with no brakes tells me the lifetime warranty is a sick joke. It won't help me if I'm dead.

If you read the recall notice, it tells you that if you can't get the shaft out of the housing, you can then order the whole unit, I don't even screw around with trying to fix them, I just order the whole assy and write in that I couldnt remove the shaft!

If you read the recall notice, it tells you that if you can't get the shaft out of the housing, you can then order the whole unit, I don't even screw around with trying to fix them, I just order the whole assy and write in that I couldnt remove the shaft!

Kudos to you for being a proactive tech. Not all shops work that way.

Nonetheless, I would not trust a system whose mode of failure is to default to no brakes. When my ex-GF was shopping for a Cherokee a few years ago I advised her not to buy an '89 that had ABS ... which then got me involved in buying an '88 Laredo here in Connecticut, replacing a cracked flex plate and doing some other, routine maintenance work, and driving it out to her in Montana.

Of course, we don't know if the XJ in question even has ABS, but it is a possibility with an '89 and whoever owns it should be aware of the issue so they can decide what their level of comfort is with that system.