Rare find on a farm

grandpabear

I found a 1962 FC170 sitting on a farm for 200 dollars. I will be picking it up in the next few weeks or so to begin work on it. the frame and bed are in great shape and the cab needs a lot of work. it has a dana 44 front and a dana 53 rear with 4:88 gearing running the old hurricane 6 cylinder. I am going to swap in a 4.0 ho,tranny and T-case out of my 95' xj to make it a bit more road worthy and later this year I will be making the bed a tilt flat bed so it can be use to tote my MJ to the trails. I have designs on making this my DD. I'll post up some pics once I get some together.

the frame and bed are in great shape and the cab needs a lot of work.

Not necessarily....sometimes a body is so far gone that projects like this, at the very least, give it a new life.

the frame and bed are in great shape and the cab needs a lot of work.

Not necessarily....sometimes a body is so far gone that projects like this, at the very least, give it a new life.

the cabs are the somewhat easier parts to find for those.

I can't wait to follow your project Bear! PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I like that jamminz.gif .

Till you hit the brakes, and t does a nose stand. ;)

I'm a BIG fan of these,

but if you're going to build one for trails, you almost have to start with the cab, and throw everything else away. :(

And then you have to chop up what's left of the cab for tire clearance. :doh:

I've seen a few nicely done ones, with modern power & drivetrain,

where they kept the stock crack prone frame & other original parts,

but I couldn't see using it for more than a very nice Sunday driver. :dunno:

I found a 1962 FC170 sitting on a farm for 200 dollars. I will be picking it up in the next few weeks or so to begin work on it. the frame and bed are in great shape and the cab needs a lot of work. it has a dana 44 front and a dana 55 rear with 4:88 gearing running the old hurricane 6 cylinder. I am going to swap in a 4.0 ho,tranny and T-case out of my 95' xj to make it a bit more road worthy and later this year I will be making the bed a tilt flat bed so it can be use to tote my MJ to the trails. I have designs on making this my DD. I'll post up some pics once I get some together.

I know the 150's used CJ frames, I think the 170's did too (longer CJ6 frames).

These crack alot, even with just the CJ body on them,

I don't know what they rated them to tow back then (the 170 was considered fairly stout, even available with duel rear wheels), but I would atleast look at boxing the frame, or swapping something else (maybe a 1976+ FSJ frame) if I was going to tow with it.

It would suck to kill the originality by swapping frames (esp since you said this one looks good), but just I don't trust those old flexible CJ frames.

Good luck with this build, and sorry if I'm a wet blanket. :cheers:

I have no photos yet because I bought it sight unseen and will be looking at it Monday as we have a major snow storm coming in tomorrow . I have no plans of making it a trail rig. I want to set it up to put my mj on the back of it to take IT to the trails. If I can find a different way to do a little better on the hywy speed, without changing the gears, I will keep the Hurricane, maybe there is an overdrive somewhere I can mate up to it, or a 4 speed tranny. Yes, these things were known to tip when you apply the brakes, they fixed that with a wider stance and added weight to the rear. these rigs were built to be work horses. I have seen some as wreckers, fire trucks, and one for sale for 40k that was a backhoe with a single cab and the bucket up front as the passenger. I talked with the guy today, he's a good friend and found that the cab on the interior was fine, so maybe his definition of a bad cab isn't one that we all share with our MJs . I will be painting both trucks the same color and scheme, to make a traveling set. also, in talking with him, I could basically change the fluids, rubber, battery, and plugs and run it, as it was running when it was parked. this one is white like the one that is in this thread. I am excited and I haven't event seen it yet. I have been wanting one for over 25 years.

and, by doing all of that, you'll be ruining a classic jeep that most of us will kill for...

:shake: And the same could be said by what you did with the 3800, now couldn't it?? At least he's using Jeep parts. Do you ever have anything positive to say? Tell you what, why don't you post up "Pat's Rules of Jeep Ownership" so we can all be sure to abide by them. soapbox.gif

and, by doing all of that, you'll be ruining a classic jeep that most of us will kill for...

:shake: And the same could be said by what you did with the 3800, now couldn't it?? At least he's using Jeep parts. Do you ever have anything positive to say? Tell you what, why don't you post up "Pat's Rules of Jeep Ownership" so we can all be sure to abide by them. soapbox.gif

LMFAO dude.

seriously, take a chill pill. I post what's on my mind, or tech that I know. as far as the 3800 goes, it came factory with a gm motor...that was a POS, so I put a better motor in it than it had from the get-go.

I just done a little research and the 170 was built on a widened willys panel wagon chassis. it came with either a T-90A or a T-98, the 98 is a 4 speed, if this puppy has that, there will be no changes. it has 103.5 " wheelbase, 77" wide, the dana 53 is a semi floater axle, the hurricane is a 266ci putting out 190 ft lbs of torq @ 1400 rpms and 105 hp at 3600 rpms, it has the 2 speed spicer T-18 t-case with a low range of 2.48 to 1, sporting a stock clearance of 8.5" at the axles. payload was 3510 lbs in a 45 cubic ft box. the FC-150 had the tipping problems, not on the 170, so after a little research it turns out to be quite a nice puppy, if it has the 4 speed that will be even sweeter.

I just done a little research and the 170 was built on a widened willys panel wagon chassis. it came with either a T-90A or a T-98, the 98 is a 4 speed, if this puppy has that, there will be no changes. it has 103.5 " wheelbase, 77" wide, the dana 53 is a semi floater axle, the hurricane is a 266ci putting out 190 ft lbs of torq @ 1400 rpms and 105 hp at 3600 rpms, it has the 2 speed spicer T-18 t-case with a low range of 2.48 to 1, sporting a stock clearance of 8.5" at the axles. payload was 3510 lbs in a 45 cubic ft box. the FC-150 had the tipping problems, not on the 170, so after a little research it turns out to be quite a nice puppy, if it has the 4 speed that will be even sweeter.

:cheers:

I'd be more happy with a Willy's SW frame,

glad I was wrong about using the CJ-6 frame. :yes:

I'd still check around the leaf mounts up front for cracks tho, and if you're gonna use it for a driver, you should think about converting to ft disc brakes.

Warn/Saturn made a .75 overdrive unit that bolts onto that Spicer-18 T-case (in the PTO port), without changing anything else (stock driveshafts, etc etc)

The Warn's been out of production fo0r a loooong time, and I'm unsure if anyone's still making the Saturn version, but both types still turn up used now & then.

Either way, good luck with the build (and the snow storm :eek: )

you should think about converting to ft disc brakes.

I'll make this my last post in this thread for a while. ;)

Just found these two links (to converting closed knuckle axles to discs):

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... ost8417568

Links borrowed from this thread (FC150 build):

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758757

YEP, the snow was big time, I buried the yardstick in my back yard with 8" of snow on top of that. and now we have another storm coming in tomorrow and they are calling for 10 to 12" more.

Jim ,no need to stop, all the info I can get is welcomed and thank you for the leads you have found so far, they are a great help.

Bear