When swapping in a Dana 44....

I am considering doing a swap to the dana 44 on my 89 mj. If I were to do that is there other things that need to be done? Can the truck still be a dd. Like I have said before I am not a mechanic, but I can retain knowledge so any info is appreciated.

I am considering doing a swap to the dana 44 on my 89 mj. If I were to do that is there other things that need to be done? Can the truck still be a dd. Like I have said before I am not a mechanic, but I can retain knowledge so any info is appreciated.

:???: A dana 44 can be used as a dd.

If you get one out of a MJ complete, it should just bolt right up.

Why wouldn't you be able to DD it? Compared to most truck axles nowadays, that people use for DD's, the D44 is tiny.

A good number of XJs and MJs came with 44s from the factory.

All you need to do is get perches in the correct locations on the 44, and find yourself a slightly shorter driveshaft.

It's possible his current drive shaft would still work. I have seen some factory set ups (MJ and XJ) with the yoke fully 1.5" out of the transfer case. Never looked at a 2wd, though.

A quick look at the slip yoke will tell if the current shaft will work or not.

It's possible his current drive shaft would still work. I have seen some factory set ups (MJ and XJ) with the yoke fully 1.5" out of the transfer case. Never looked at a 2wd, though.

I'm looking to swap in my 8.25 soon (also has 1" longer snout like the D44), I would like to re-use my original 2wd D35 DS in the meantime, before I install the t-case and AX-15. I want to avoid cutting down the shaft 1" as it will be a temporary setup.

By 1.5" out, do you mean as measured from the base of the ears to the trans seal?

Do you know the travel distance in of the yoke at full suspension compression?

I do plan to swap in 4wd leafs (with longer 4wd bump stops) in place of the original 2wd, I figure that would help a little no?

I thought the 44 was only a 1" longer than the 35 ? but either way u might be able to drill a new hole in the spring pearch to be able to move the axle rearward in order to reuse the stock drive shaft , this will put the rear tires closer to the fender but the ability to do this depends on the size tires u have

I'm looking to swap in my 8.25 soon (also has 1" longer snout like the D44), I would like to re-use my original 2wd D35 DS in the meantime, before I install the t-case and AX-15. I want to avoid cutting down the shaft 1" as it will be a temporary setup.

By 1.5" out, do you mean as measured from the base of the ears to the trans seal?

Do you know the travel distance in of the yoke at full suspension compression?

I do plan to swap in 4wd leafs (with longer 4wd bump stops) in place of the original 2wd, I figure that would help a little no?

No, I mean from the seal to the end of the splines.

I don't think 4wd springs will make a noticeable difference.

The variable in needing to shorten the shaft or not is lift.

When I ran the 4" Rustys leafs, (Closer to 5") I was fine with the stock length shaft with my D44 swap. Later after the RUSTYS crap broke, when I installed the Motion 4.5" pack the shaft was too long. I had used MOPAR perches on the 44 and was able to do just as FUBAR mentioned and move the axle back an inch or so to the rear most homes in the perch.

All you need to do this when utilizing a XJ D44 is new perches and lower shock mounts. I recommend the MOPAR perches, as stated they have multiple holes and are very stout and CHEAP!!! They are made for the larger 8.25 tube, but a little time with a grinder will have them fitting the smaller D4 tube just fine. now tack them on. Lower shock mounts can be fabbed up a couple ways. Mounts are available form many places. Rubicon express makes a nice set not too expensive.

CW

thinking back to years ago when I swapped a 44 under my then-2wd 88, I reused the driveshaft (more out of ignorance than anything else) and experienced no ill effects. :dunno: It's enough for me to say that it might be worth trying before seeking out a new shaft or shortening the old one. (though it may be wise to locate a local shop that can shorten a driveshaft so you're ready to go if there is a problem)