Linux Mint?

dunl

I've used among others, Ubuntu, Fedora, FreeBSD, Madriva, Debian, Slackware, and CentOS. By far the most stable of the Linux distro's I've used so far has got to be CentOS hands down. I program for a living so i may put things to a harder test than most, maybe not, either way its just my opinion. Which distro is the best? Honestly, its the one you're most comfortable with and allows you to get the most accomplished without getting in the way.

I'm gunna play dummy but what are we talking about?

Operating system for computers. Instead of having to buy a copy of Winblows, you can download and install any Linux Distro base and use it. It's freeware, so you're not losing anything out of pocket per se. It is a bit different and takes some getting used to, but I find it a LOT simpler and easier to use than Winblows, and since it's not all too commonly used, there is far less viruses out and about with using Linux. There is a lot of available options of different Distros for Linux, so that's where it gets tricky. Best bet is to talk to people that have used a certain Distro and base, and get their opinions on it, as well as pros and cons of it, then decide for yourself if it's right for you or not.

I'm trying to find a good tutorial on installing Linux Mint side by side with Vista, on a couple of machines that already run Vista.

Anyone have anything good, with screenshots, pictures....maybe a role-playing puppet show? :clapping:

okay cool. juat a question though. i play games like call of duty and stufff. would they work on a linux system?

Possibly with Wine or something similar unless the game hasn't already been ported to Linux but no guarantees. Most PC games use the DirectX API to communicate with the hardware so getting them to run on a non Microsoft platform is very difficult.

I'm trying to find a good tutorial on installing Linux Mint side by side with Vista, on a couple of machines that already run Vista.

Anyone have anything good, with screenshots, pictures....maybe a role-playing puppet show? :clapping:

Do these help?

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/14/how-to-dual-boot-windows-vista-and-linux/

Do these help?

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/14/how-to-dual-boot-windows-vista-and-linux/

First one is for users with NO knowledge of Linux....that'd be me. :yes:

Thanks.

okay cool. juat a question though. i play games like call of duty and stufff. would they work on a linux system?

I speak from experience - stick with Windows. You're just asking for headaches if you basically just want all of your Windows stuff to work in Linux.

I messed with Ubuntu for about half a year or so before I decided to wipe it from my hard drive. It was nice to have - very quick, easy to navigate, and I was a "cool" uber leet hax0r because I ran Linux. However, when new hardware came out that I wanted and it didn't list Linux as a compatible OS, I either had to wait until the manufacturer decided to support Linux or wait for some Linux computer geek to code a driver for it. This was about 4-5 years ago and I've noticed that a lot of newer hardware and software seem to be catering to the Linux crew so it's probably not nearly as bad now.

After I wiped Linux from my main desktop, I decided to put it on an older PC I had lying around so I'd essentially have a Linux Box in case I needed it. I think I've turned that PC on about a dozen times in the last 4-5 years. I do like Linux and I'm glad its gaining popularity, but just wasn't for me.

No problem...enjoy!

BTW- I'm actually a Microsoft partner so if you have any Windows issues let me know.

So what exactly is a Microsoft partner?

No issues so far....still working my way around, but seems very easy to use so far.