anybody done this

88mjmanche

In Oregon we did that with our sand buggies. OK for off road but wouldn't do it for highway use.

The boys with deep pockets would do it with new tires. There is a tool made for that. Plug it in a 110 socket. Had a U shaped blade on it. Cut grooves across the tire trying to stop short of exposing the cord.

Groovers aren't that expensive. I have a couple friends with them. You can cup lugs, cut extra lugs, sipe, etc. You can even take a bogger, and after lots of time and effort, make it into a tire that almost works in something other than mud.

You can add tread, or deepen the voids with them... But if you see belts, you've gone way too far. Those tires are thick, you should be able to add some tread. It might not produce a tire that is round, balanced, or even safe, just as my little disclaimer.

AFTER I got my $900 tires installed the guy at the tire place said a local off road racer runs 35" Kumo MTs. Grooves the hell out of them, uses them for one race, then tosses them or sells them for cheap.

Might have been good to know and check out before I emptied my bank account. :fs1:

Some semi tires are regroovable, but I wouldn't do it on light truck tires. And I definitely would not run them on the road or at highway speeds.