Project - "BOBW"

BOBW stands for Best of Both Worlds.

I want to build a truck that I can drive to the mudhole/trails and have fun, then driver her home. That might change though.

This is my second Comanche. The first one is my ride to school and back. 1986 LWB 2.5l TBI 5-speed 4WD. This one is a 1988 SWB Renix I6 5-speed 4WD. PukeGoat BA 10/5 and D35.

Had the I4 for maybe 6 months and the I6 for 3 or 4 months.

The both of them.

All alone.

Fuel Tank in sights.

Interior.

@$$ Ends.

Smile!

D35 =X

Renix I6 in its beauty

Wire Mess!

I really haven't had time to work on the truck between school and work so I haven't really posted anything. I've so far changed the fuel pump with the one the guy gave me with the truck (wasn't running). To get it running I ran it up to a switch because i was having some wiring problems with the original wires. While I was under there I realized I only had one factory strap, and a Bungie Cord. It has a new Fuel Pressure Regulator, Valve Cover, Valve Cover Gasget (Cork, I think I'm going to go buy a Felpro), Serpentine Belt, and Battery. The Fuel Tank was leaking at the sending unit as I didn't have a seal. The tank is dropped now and I'm trying to find the thing I took a picture of below.

What I need ^

The reason why I'm finally posting is because I've saved up some money between work, christmas, and my birthday. A coworker of mine has a Dana44 front axle and a Dana44 Rear axle I'm going to look at tomorrow. She said just get an education, and that if I pull them myself they're mine. They're in a custom built 1972 Blazer. I can't go wrong there. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

EDIT - I'm also interested in doing a swap from the BA 10/5 to the AX-15. What will I need? I mean everything. And can I reuse my TC?

Looks good. :cheers:

Tho a 72 Blazer would have a passengers side ft diff. (unless it & the T-case were swapped)

Thank you! :D Didn't even think about that. Thank you for the information. I'll check it out tomorrow. Worst comes to worst I'll take the axle and trade it for another one or sell it.

I think the thing is the pic you are looking for is called a J bolt. I have been looking for them also because the threads on mine have pretty much rotted away. I found this http://www.restorationperformance.com/s ... lts/Detail but not sure if it is the same as the ones on our trucks. I may just have to go the route of buying a bolt of similar size and heating then bending the head over.

I've got a set of those strap bolts, off an MJ in the junkyard. I got them for Tom (mjtjnj) but forgot to give them to him when he was down here a couple weeks ago (oops). If he ends up not needing them, I can send them along to whoever needs them.

Let the bidding begin at one 6-pak of Bud Light........ ;)

Jeff

:typing: UPDATE! :typing:

This is a pretty good update gentlemen. Alot has happened since last time.

Friday, I was bored after getting out of school. My buddy and I started pulling stuff of the front of the 88. We pulled off the lights, grill, header panel, and bumpers. The pictures were taken at night so i know they are bad!

Panels off of the front, looking good

Rear bumper off

Panels and such in the cab

Bumpers in the bed

Cracked header panel, is the best place to look for a new one the JY?

In the daylight so you can see

Then Saturday, I bought another Comanche. A 1989 Jeep Comanche, 4.0l, AW4, NP231, 38.5in Ground Hawgs and a Dana 44 jamminz.gif

Only bad things is that its missing reverse, 4 wheel drive doesnt work due to bad D30 up front, and cut fenders.

Dad in the background, and she's dirty!

"Not Sure Yet" I guess the guy was on the fence... post

Bunch of crap in the bed, including a sway bar

Dual exhaust

DANA 44 :D :cheers: jamminz.gif

All cleaned up! Tried to keep the same angles

She looks mean

Tailgate in need of paint. I really like the tailight covers

Side angle

Front side angle

The only motor shot, is that Chrysler/Jeeps I6 in an 89? Did someone do it themselves or did it come with it in 89? It even has Chrysler emblems on the Catalyst stickers and whatnot.

After cleaning her, she didnt want to start because i sprayed under the hood and shorted out something. Towed it back to my dads restaurant, driveway is getting full.

I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and starter relay today. I needed that last picture for the firing order =P She runs fine now!

I plan on taking her interior, rear running gears, and the motor if thats not an AMC I6.

OH!

That 72 Blazer is mine. She gave it to me. It has a D44 front end with a passenger side drop and a GM 12 bolt in the rear.

Is it worth it to convert that front end it a driver side drop or should i sell both running gears and buy one out of a Grand Wagoneer?

New MJ looks great. :cheers:

I guess you're addicted like the rest of us. :yes:

The only motor shot, is that Chrysler/Jeeps I6 in an 89? Did someone do it themselves or did it come with it in 89? It even has Chrysler emblems on the Catalyst stickers and whatnot.

After cleaning her, she didnt want to start because i sprayed under the hood and shorted out something. Towed it back to my dads restaurant, driveway is getting full.

I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and starter relay today. I needed that last picture for the firing order =P She runs fine now!

I plan on taking her interior, rear running gears, and the motor if thats not an AMC I6.

That's a Renix 4.0L (see the 3 bolt intake flange on the throttle body),

just looks like someone swapped on some later 4.0L parts (atleast the late model valve cover).

Chrysler was in charge by 89 (took over in 87), but there still should be plenty of AMC symbols on an '89 (mine is covered with them).

If you ever get the engine wet again, and it won't start, spray some WD-40 under the distributor cap (the WD is for 'water displacer').

One of my MJ's used to crap out after every water crossing, and had to get sprayed all the time, till I put on one of those 5.0L Ford rubber boots that wrap the distributor.

Thanks CW! Those rims are definitely nice! I'm wondering if I should use them on the 86 or not.

And JP, thanks for the info on the distributor. Someone said it would work when it dried out so i tried it and nothing happened. I replaced everything and realized i tried to start it in neutral. I'm not used to these automatics at ALL! First one I've ever owned. And thanks for the info on the Renix.

So i started pulling the dash out of the 89 today and only got so far. I got that lower dash piece out, and the gauges. The steering column is dropped, and I've removed the other 15mm nuts that bolt to the side of the truck. I still cannot get the dash out. It seems like its attatched to that trim piece closest to the windshield but i couldnt figure out how to get that out. Any info gentlemen?

There is a trim piece at the top of the dash against the windshield that must be removed. This was a real pain for me. After you get that out there is self tapping screws on brackets attached to the cab. Remove those and it should loosen up for you.

I rained way too much today in florida so i never got a chance to get started. I've got a GM 12 Bolt Rear End and a Dana 44 Passenger Side Drop as of today. I'm going to clean them up and sell them. I might sell them together or seperately, depending on where the money is at. If anyone is interested let me know. I don't know the gear ratio but i will most likely find out tomorrow.

Okay so I haven't had the time to pull that interior, but I've been working to clean those axles up so I can sell them. Something good came in the mail today though :yes:

The new J-Bolts for the gas tank! Same size just to show off.

A little different, but its all the same to me.

Attatched to the new straps.

Skid!

They were the ones someone in the post previously showed me. They were pricey but they are worth it.

good to see that the J bolts were the correct ones. what did it cost total shipped? when I add it to the cart and get an estimated shipping the total comes out to 53 bucks! on a 12 dollar part! that is 41 F#&*@$g dollars to ship! the ones on Ebay are the same price and cost 20 bucks to ship. it is ridiculous how much they rape people on shipping, these are small pieces that do not weigh much. I think I will make some out of some heated up bolts from the hardware store unless the online calculator is a mistake.

also where did you go about getting the new straps?

good to see that the J bolts were the correct ones. what did it cost total shipped? when I add it to the cart and get an estimated shipping the total comes out to 53 bucks! on a 12 dollar part! that is 41 F#&*@$g dollars to ship! the ones on Ebay are the same price and cost 20 bucks to ship. it is ridiculous how much they rape people on shipping, these are small pieces that do not weigh much. I think I will make some out of some heated up bolts from the hardware store unless the online calculator is a mistake.

also where did you go about getting the new straps?

It is ridiculous but i paid that much. I couldn't stand letting the truck sit any longer so i paid it. The straps were bought at Advance Discount Auto Parts, right up the street.