instalilng spring spacers?

there are several options. If you have stock suspension then you probably can:

1) Take front tires off. and disconnect shocks.

2) Drop the side that you are NOT currently installing the spacer on as low as possible.

3) From the frame, lift the side you are installing as high as possible, with luck it will come high enough to lift the truck off the springs.

4) Install spacer.

5) Repeat on other side

6) Install shocks and wheels.

Your other option is to get some on car coil spring compressors and remove the springs using those. I always chain the spring to the axle when doing this though because the spring can become a bomb if it comes loose from the compressors.

Indeed, especially getting the controls arms and track bar back on... I tried spring compressors one time, but that was a scary experience (slip around the spring) and they just wouldn't compress the springs enough to remove without taking something else apart....

Where did you get your spacers? How much? Thanks

With 1.75" spacers and stock springs, 31s look about perfect.

If you think it's a PITA doing this with stock springs, try it with 4.5" lift springs some time. Neither the upper control arms nor the track bar will let the axle down far enough. All three need to be disconnected.

With 1.75" spacers and stock springs, 31s look about perfect.

If you think it's a PITA doing this with stock springs, try it with 4.5" lift springs some time. Neither the upper control arms nor the track bar will let the axle down far enough. All three need to be disconnected.

For my 4.5'' springs when I installed spacers a few months ago, i dropped the axle as far as it would go with the other side jacked up, and then used a spring compressor and 1/2'' impact gun to zap the compressor up, I had the springs removed in about 5 minutes. FWIW as long as you have a spring compressor that locks all the way around the coil, it is fairly safe to use, because even if it slips, it won't let go of the spring, it will just move along the spring.

Indeed, especially getting the controls arms and track bar back on... I tried spring compressors one time, but that was a scary experience (slip around the spring) and they just wouldn't compress the springs enough to remove without taking something else apart....

Where did you get your spacers? How much? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0348279301