86 Mj Right rear tail light completly out, not working.

does the reverse light work?

There's a connector in the harness located right behind the drivers side rear tire. corrosion inside can play havoc with the rear lights. :(

also mine had a trailer plug clipped to the wires that let water under the insulation and rotted the wires an I had to replace the whole wire harness

I cleaned the ground, cut out the old wiring harness for the trailer, spliced in 4" of new wire, soldered and shrinked the connections. now I have directionals, running lights, reverse lights but no brake or flashers. I replaced both flashers with hd mechanical (noisy buggers) I'm stumped. Before I cut out the trailer wires, the flashers and brakes worked fine on drivers side. I dremmeled the ground behind the drivers tail light and used die electric to seal the connection (Aircraft grade) have good ground I'm sure. the stop/flasher fuse is good too?

• 2 months later...

It's doing it again.

My right rear tail light is acting up. I have running lights and back up lights but I don't have brake, direction, or emergency lights. The plug behind the left tire is clean and the ground is good. The brown wire( no stripe) seems to be the one that feeds the right side and it's weird as I have bower to the cab side of the big plug but not on the bumper side. The connection is clean and tight. I even put in a little connection grease like I use on my plows.

I can't figure out why the plug is n/g? I still can't rule out something prior to the plug.

am i right that the brown wire feeds the right rear brake/dir/emerg bulbs?

please email me at incredable.geo@yahoo.com so I can get the messages on my phone!

I greatly appreciate it

by the way. the tonneau cover I bought for a 93 s-10 is a perfect fit!!!!!

Just a shot in the dark - but did you check the switch on the brake pedal (under the dash)?

The emergency flashers on the column don't work either? that would be the flasher relay (fusebox).

Also, there are several factory splices in the rear harness...you might need to remove all the wire loom to check them. They are easy to identify - the factory used grey duct tape to cover them. I have a thread in here on wiring 6 pole and 4 flat trailer plugs where I identify all the wires in the harness (I just don't have the link right now!), but yes, brown is for the tail lights.

:agree:

On the rear harness, behind the bumper, there are crimped splices in the harness from the factory, and after.......well.........20+ years.......... :roll: they do corrode.

I've pulled one harness completely out, and worked on it on the bench, and replace all the open crimped connectors with insulated butt connectors, filled with die-elect grease, and re-taped the harness.

• 2 months later...