Oil filter?

My 88 MJ 4.0 had a STP filter on it when I bought it(part #3985 I think),I bought a Wix and a Napa filter (51626 and a 1626)neither fit,but it was the correct part number.I bought another STP it screw right on??? I didnt know if maybe someone changed the filter base or if its a common problem.I need to post a pic of the filter base .

Has anyone else ran into this?

My 88 MJ 4.0 had a STP filter on it when I bought it(part #3985 I think),I bought a Wix and a Napa filter (51626 and a 1626)neither fit,but it was the correct part number.I bought another STP it screw right on??? I didnt know if maybe someone changed the filter base or if its a common problem.I need to post a pic of the filter base .

Has anyone else ran into this?

I don't understand why the Wix 51626 or the Napa 1626 (Also made by Wix) wouldn't fit. The STP S3985 cross references to the Wix 51626 and the Napa 1626. The filter adapter has metric threads. Are you sure the STP filter that was on it was an S3985?

Horizontal,I tried 2 different ones from wix thinking that maybe I had gotten filter with bad threads or something.But the STP went right on???

I'm thinking somewhere along the way the filter adapter or atleast the threaded piece has been changed out.I guess my next trip to Pull a parts I'll look for a filter adapter that has a 1626 filter installed....

Horizontal,I tried 2 different ones from wix thinking that maybe I had gotten filter with bad threads or something.But the STP went right on???

I'm thinking somewhere along the way the filter adapter or atleast the threaded piece has been changed out.I guess my next trip to Pull a parts I'll look for a filter adapter that has a 1626 filter installed....

Right you are. The '88 oil filter is a metric thread, and the filter mounts upside down (threaded opening toward the ground). Chrysler changed to an SAE thread on the filter in 1991, and at the same time changed the filter adapter so the filter sits horizontal (threaded opening facing forward). The filters are NOT interchangeable. If you have the horizontal mount, you probably need a filter for a 1991 thru 2001 Cherokee.

If you have the horizontal filter mount then you can't have the STP S3985 filter on there. The STP S3985 comes up as the correct filter for a 1988 Jeep Comanche with a 4.0L, This filter will not fit the horizontal filter mount because it has metric threads.

I ran into the same problem in the early '90's when I had an '87 Wrangler with a 4.2. Neither Wix nor Fram (I wouldn't buy a Fram now anyway) would fit. I had to buy a filter made by Purolator or go to the dealership. Even though the number on the others say they would fit, they would not. If you will look, I would bet that the number listed on the Wix is the same as the number listed for a '91 or later. As far as how the oil filter adaptor is turned, I have a verticle filter on my '92 4.0 engine and it has the standard threads. It does't have anything to do with the question but here is a very interesting article on oil filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

I ran into the same problem in the early '90's when I had an '87 Wrangler with a 4.2. Neither Wix nor Fram (I wouldn't buy a Fram now anyway) would fit. I had to buy a filter made by Purolator or go to the dealership. Even though the number on the others say they would fit, they would not. If you will look, I would bet that the number listed on the Wix is the same as the number listed for a '91 or later. As far as how the oil filter adaptor is turned, I have a verticle filter on my '92 4.0 engine and it has the standard threads. It does't have anything to do with the question but here is a very interesting article on oil filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Wix lists on their site the 51085 for the 1991 and later 4.0L and the 51626 for the 1987-1990 4.0L.

As far as how the oil filter adaptor is turned, I have a verticle filter on my '92 4.0 engine and it has the standard threads.

Got a photo of your engine? Can you read the build code off the passenger side? It shouldn't have a vertical oil filter, but it may be a replacement engine, or it may be a replacement oil filter adapter.

Well mines horizontal,I will get pictures later of the filter adapter.the s3985 fits and the 1626 won't...

I don't know if the engine has been replaced I do know it was an automatic truck in its earlier days.

So when I get to work I will try to get a picture of the filter base and find the number on the block to se what year the engine is.