winch mounting options

well next on the project list is mounting my winch. i want the versatility of being able to mount in the front and also be able to put it in my rear hitch reciever, or another vehicle all together. so i am going to make a winch plate with the reciever and also put a reciever in front. i want it to be hidden though. i figured i would make some beefy brackets(have acces to a plasma cutter) and then a sturdy piece going across with a reciever. all of this behind the stock bumper with an access hole cut. so now my question is how reasonable would this be? easy hard impossible? havent looked into it too much just ideas right now... also thinking about a custom bumper alltogher so any ideas are good! comment away!

been thinking bout this for a while, but until i have a couple other projects buttoned up I'm still thinking. my thought is to put a few ideas together for a hidden front receiver. i have heard a few bad things about using the receiver mounted winch in side pull circumstances,mabe use a turnbuckle on the outsides connecting to tow hooks er somthng.

plus

17634-lg.jpg

(bolts to tow hook mount)with out the receiver plus a factory front skid. gives you many mounting points to spread the load. hope this helps

Just to add my 2C,

tho I'm sure they have their fans,

receiver hitch winches are less than ideal for almost every wheeling situation.

If you're teetering on the edge of a ledge, do you really want to crawl out on your hood, swinging around a 100+lb winch & receiver?

How about buried in mud?

Even just going out to get the hook sucks, never mind carrying the whole winch.

You could put it on first, before you get stuck, but a receiver mounted winch is hanging out there waiting to get smacked around, and eats up approach angle.

I could see doing the ft & rear hitch mounted winch for utility farm/home use, but I'm just not a fan of it on the trails.

To answer you question tho,

there are a few aftermarket bumpers available with center mounted receivers, and even a fairly cheap "weld it up yourself" ft bumper kit with a center mtd receiver.

The ft hidden hitch is another option, but it hangs lower than most of the bumper mounted receivers.

17634-lg.jpg

That doesn't appear to mount in any way I would feel comfortable using.

Just to add my 2C,

If you're teetering on the edge of a ledge, do you really want to crawl out on your hood, swinging around a 100+lb winch & receiver?

How about buried in mud?

You could put it on first, before you get stuck, but a receiver mounted winch is hanging out there waiting to get smacked around, and eats up approach angle.

I could see doing the ft & rear hitch mounted winch for utility farm/home use, but I'm just not a fan of it on the trails.

there are a few aftermarket bumpers available with center mounted receivers, and even a fairly cheap "weld it up yourself" ft bumper kit with a center mtd receiver.

The ft hidden hitch is another option, but it hangs lower than most of the bumper mounted receivers.

:agree:

That doesn't appear to mount in any way I would feel comfortable using.

ive heard good things from multiple people using it, i was going to order one but i have a policy of not poying more in shipping than purchase price... sometimes living in ak sucks. mounts to tow hook brackets on both sides, if one hook works for extraction, both tied together aught to be better. should be boxed more and connect to more, which is why ide build it up a bit

Flatly its NOT DESIGNED for mounting a winch. Its designed to make it easier to move your boat/trailer around in the yard or on the ramp. NOT for towing, or supporting any kind of shock load. NOT the same as a rear mounted two point/hitch. Besides, it hangs pretty lo and as jpnjim mentioned destroys some of you approach angle.

I have a Detours bone mount and I do like it, but I would have preferred something a bit lower as not to deflect/interfere with so much of the air flow into the radiator.

CW

Just to add my 2C,

How about buried in mud?

:agree: also....you don't want to be out there rigging up your piece in 2ft + of mud or snow or even worse...both mixed together...do you?