Going back to school... I hope.

DirtyComanche

I'm going to go get the course for these suckers:

Image Not Found

Bell 205.

I hope... It starts in 2 weeks, I phoned last week and they had 6 seats left... But I waffled and didn't register right then. So hopefully I'll be registered Monday morning.

$5000~ for 3 weeks :ack: But I get a 25% discount (to make it $5000~), and a LOT of the other courses are about $10000 and in less convenient places (like Texas, not that I have anything against Texas, just it costs more for flights and hotels...) Also, I'll get some money back in taxes. And hopefully the course will pay for itself quickly enough (a couple years at most).

:banana:

Dirty, doesn't your employer cover this training? Or at least part of it?

There's a story behind that... The answer would be normally yes.

I don't have to do this, but it's what I want. I actually enjoy working on them, and already have a reasonable amount of experience with them. And if things go well, I might have it payed for in a very short period of time. Since, well, flight pay on a 205 is about $50/hour. So, if we fly 8s I'll make $400 a day, plus my salary, plus other incentives ($50 a day field pay, $50 day meal allowance), and whatever overtime I actually wind up being payed on the day.

It's only money in the end. Besides, they will probably be giving me some other training in the near future. And it all makes me more employable in a boom or bust industry, and will hopefully lead to some other options in the international scene.

I don't have to do this, but it's what I want. I actually enjoy working on them, and already have a reasonable amount of experience with them. And if things go well, I might have it payed for in a very short period of time. Since, well, flight pay on a 205 is about $50/hour. So, if we fly 8s I'll make $400 a day, plus my salary, plus other incentives ($50 a day field pay, $50 day meal allowance), and whatever overtime I actually wind up being payed on the day.

It's only money in the end. Besides, they will probably be giving me some other training in the near future. And it all makes me more employable in a boom or bust industry, and will hopefully lead to some other options in the international scene.

Understand. I spent lots of time in various US, ROK, and RP Army and Marine 205 military versions getting work crews and equipment to remote mountain-top microwave sites in Korea, the Philippines, and "other" locations. Noisy birds, but super reliable and real workhorses, even in typhoons. :eek: Many many still in service as I'm sure you know. :cheers:

Understand. I spent lots of time in various US, ROK, and RP Army and Marine 205 military versions getting work crews and equipment to remote mountain-top microwave sites in Korea, the Philippines, and "other" locations. Noisy birds, but super reliable and real workhorses, even in typhoons. :eek: Many many still in service as I'm sure you know. :cheers:

A lot of those military birds are showing up in the civilian market now. They get surplussed 'cheap', so operators buy them for drill/fire pigs. Actually, the school where I'll take the course has a UH-1H since it was much more affordable than a civil 205 (and the differences are minimal, at least for training purposes). They're a tough aircraft, considering they've been basically out of production for 30~ years and there is still as many of them left as there is. We just fix all the cracks in the airframes every winter, and they keep on humping along picking up drills or water buckets all summer. :D

Bet the civilian versions are a bit quieter than the military rigs. But I love 'em, they pulled my bacon out of the fire several times especially in weather when no one else would fly except the Marines. The Navy, USAF, and Army would say hey, a front's coming in, can't fly. The Jarheads would say, okay when do you need to go. I'm ex-Navy, and it pains me to admit this. :bowdown: Sounds like a great way to earn a living Dirt-man keeping these old birds flying and safe. :cheers:

One of the local firefighters managed to "bump" into the tail end of the flight for life when loading a patient with his helmet on... and left a dent. :ack: Well, a safety inspection, and a $50,000 patch later, the flight for life is back on.

Bet he won't live that one down... :oops:

Rob L.

Don you old salt you.

I had the honor of flying in a civilian one while I was in. Thing was older than I was I think. Road pretty good but still a bit loud. Only real time that I was scared was when the pilot said it was the first time he has landed on a Arleigh Burke class destroyer before. They had to do a sim landing to see how it would fit. :eek: As you know, helo's don't float well after they roll off the flight deck.

Good luck on your training. :thumbsup:

:cheers: