88' Comanche info needed. . .

actually it does mean something,I'm a lift truck/equipment mechanic and hyster used the 305 V6 and maybe some of the others but they are pretty rare anymore.

I'm not trying to make you like the 4.0L, i just wanted to clear some stuff up.

I got real worried that my XJ was blowing oil into the airbox right after i got it and i had the same idea about it as you till i researched it and found out what causes it. figured its good info pass along,might come in handy some day.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually it does mean something,I'm a lift truck/equipment mechanic and hyster used the 305 V6 and maybe some of the others but they are pretty rare anymore.

I'm not trying to make you like the 4.0L, i just wanted to clear some stuff up.

I got real worried that my XJ was blowing oil into the airbox right after i got it and i had the same idea about it as you till i researched it and found out what causes it. figured its good info pass along,might come in handy some day.

that they are a rather rare engine, these day's.

if you read the power for the 379 V6 ? it says 170hp n 266tq power, now when i had my 379 V6 in my GMC 4500 rebuilt it turned 175hp n 388tq at the fly wheel with all the belt driven devices attached, which is not what the GM paper work Ratings say . . .

I know a lot of the AMC 390 V8's turned a good bit more then rating's along with the 401's n a few 360's folks simply rebuilt as it was no mod's or upgrades . . . yet they turned more then as was rated for online.

Now if you took the 8.5 compression 401 truck engine compared to the 10:1 401 car engine and engine dynoed them both then chassie dynoed them both there actual power out put would rather close only difference would be what the compression added . . .

I'm sure the 4.0 is a fine engine "just misunderstood" well i heard that same line about my 6.5 diesel it was and still is a financial disaster, which is why i bought my MJ i couldn't trust the 6.5 any more i also couldn't afford to make the payments and fix it at the same time so i parked it and put the jeep on the rode, now i'm driving 1 and paying for another . . .

I guess i should have been more precise on the info i was looking for, i have a 1988 Comanche with an AMC 2.5L I-4 TBI 4spd manual 2WD short bed . . .so thats the info i wanted . . .

My mistake i guess :cheers:

Mike

Why do we have the same discussion going on in two separate threads?

Why do you have to post the same question in two seperate threads?

How 'bout that tough guy?

Rob L. :fs2:

Padding my post count. Got milestones to hit, ya know. :banana:

:dunno: i'm not sure how they got twisted into the same thread, i have a feeling the 4leakier had some thing to do with it. :yes:

This thread was to be about the general data of my truck.

GVWR, Gear ratio, factory tire size ect . . . this post was to find out what it was, the other posted was take the info of what was and what it is now and turn that into what it will be . . .

Mike

my in laws had a 6.5L,they had nothing but trouble with it.

just remember the 4.0L seems to be the prefered engine around here,anything 2.5L related and a 4.0L swap is usually the answer.

so expect at least one person to suggest it when you say anything 2.5L related

I too have a 2.5L and no desire to do a 4.0L swap

:cheers:

Ya i bought into the general its a pile of junk thinking 70% of the world has but the other 30% really love the 6.5, I now know its quirky's and myths whats need to be done what shouldn't be done ect n now i know how to fix it and make a trouble free diesel i just didn't have the money to fix it all at once so i was doing 1 thing at a time but i couldn't keep up n get it done fast enough and it bit me da :no: you know, but anywho enough about that truck still a sore spot, i'm making a payment on a shiny nice looking rig while driving and old beat up truck not happy about that . . .

do check out that V-6 GMC site good info i just wouldn't rely on the power rating's as from what i experienced there off or inaccurate . . . tho they did say the 379's rating's came from a 73'-74' brochure . . .

they say the 379 V6 made 170hp n 266tq my engine was rebuilt, No mod's or upgrades done and it spun 175hp n 388tq at the fly wheel belts n pulleys installed fully assembled complete engine.

back to the program. . .

Mike

This thread was to be about the general data of my truck.

GVWR, Gear ratio, factory tire size ect . . . this post was to find out what it was, the other posted was take the info of what was and what it is now and turn that into what it will be . . .

Mike

Best I can do here, with the limited knowlege... (not being able to crawl all over it)

2.5L 150CI TBI Iron block, parent pore.

AX4 Manual Transmission: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax5.htm

Dana Spicer 35 rear axle, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

Most likely, You have 3.55 gear, with the 4 speed. With a 5 speed, 4.10's are common.

Rob L.