Cash for clunkers

So i've been seeing alot of xjs in the JY's since cfc. I was wondering what exactly is done to them to make the motors no good. ive seen so many newer body style ones that. it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy a whole newer body xj to swap parts to an mj. i've heard they ruin the motors, but what exactly is done to them? i saw a near flawless 00' the other day the only thing missing was rims and tires but it had "CFC" written in paint marker all over the engine and glass.

So i've been seeing alot of xjs in the JY's since cfc. I was wondering what exactly is done to them to make the motors no good. ive seen so many newer body style ones that. it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy a whole newer body xj to swap parts to an mj. i've heard they ruin the motors, but what exactly is done to them? i saw a near flawless 00' the other day the only thing missing was rims and tires but it had "CFC" written in paint marker all over the engine and glass.

they drain half the oil out and put liquid glass in them that hardens as temperature increases. the catalyst for the liquid glass (for lack of better description) is friction and heat...it seizes up the motor.

you can't take any parts from a CFC vehicle that oil ran through.

To elaborate on what Pat said...

All of the oil is drained...

The coolant is drained...

Liquid Glass goes in...

Engine go bye-bye...

And as Pat said... IT IS ILLEGAL... to remove and re-use any internally lubricated part that comes in contact with oil. Federal law.

Rob L.

To elaborate on what Pat said...

All of the oil is drained...

The coolant is drained...

Liquid Glass goes in...

Engine go bye-bye...

And as Pat said... IT IS ILLEGAL... to remove and re-use any internally lubricated part that comes in contact with oil. Federal law.

Rob L.

IIRC, this includes tranny cooling lines as well as the transmission and *technically* the radiator, as tranny fluid runs through it.

I worked as a lottech during that at a Jeep dealer, we basically drained oil. Replaced it with this glass liquid mix stuff, then fired her up and redlined the motor till she went Bang!, as enjoyable as it was to get paid blowing motors up, it was sad seeing numerous 4.0s go out tlike that. :(

I got video on my cell of an old D150 blowing a 318. :popcorn: its rather cool haha

IIRC, this includes tranny cooling lines as well as the transmission and *technically* the radiator, as tranny fluid runs through it.

Nah... Trannies, and rad's are fine... Just not "Smog causing 4.0l's"...

:fs1:

Rob L.

:agree:

The drive line parts are OK, it's just engine (oiled) parts that can not be reused.

And, with that said.........getting an AW4 off a C4C engine is not an easy task.........Just ask me or Cherokee about that one :roll:

But on a side note, the C4C are to be crushed with-in 90 days, and were coming up to that dead line now..........the P-n-P I was at on Saturday, the pickings are getting slim, and not alot of C4C still in the yard.

First... Sodium Silicate doesn't harden with heat..... It hardens when it cools. It get more fluid when it heats. We use ALOT of it in the concrete construction industry...

Second.. the deadline was not 90 days on CFC vehicles to be crushed. It was 180 days(six months) and there has been a big push to extend that deadline as CFC really overwhelmed yards with vehicles.

Third... you cannot sell any part lubricated with oil.. OR a frame(or unibody) of a CFC vehicle.

First... Sodium Silicate doesn't harden with heat..... It hardens when it cools. It get more fluid when it heats. We use ALOT of it in the concrete construction industry...

Second.. the deadline was not 90 days on CFC vehicles to be crushed. It was 180 days(six months) and there has been a big push to extend that deadline as CFC really overwhelmed yards with vehicles.

Third... you cannot sell any part lubricated with oil.. OR a frame(or unibody) of a CFC vehicle.

OK.......I know there was a cut off date for the C4C to be crushed.......but I didn't know it was 180 days......... :hmm:

I know the yard I hit, they do a quick turn over anyways, like 2-3 weeks, and the car/truck is out of there, but both there "storage" lots are still filled with new victims :D But alot of them are insurance clams, and just rusted out wrecks.

OK.......I know there was a cut off date for the C4C to be crushed.......but I didn't know it was 180 days......... :hmm:

I know the yard I hit, they do a quick turn over anyways, like 2-3 weeks, and the car/truck is out of there, but both there "storage" lots are still filled with new victims :D But alot of them are insurance clams, and just rusted out wrecks.

The yard we hit is kinda schizo in how they turn them over.. Some are in and out very quickly.. others sit.. There is a VERY clean 91 XJ that has been there for three months at least.. and it was still almost complete minus the radiator.

...yard we hit is kinda schizo in how they turn them over.. Some are in and out very quickly.. others sit.. There is a VERY clean 91 XJ that has been there for three months at least.. and it was still almost complete minus the radiator.

Will and I stop and have a moment of silence for this thing every time we go. :(

Rob L.

One of the local yards I frequent told me that if the car is not disposed of in the prescribed time limit (180 days) the junk yard is responsible for the CFC money. Most yards that run the CFC cars through know that the main money lies in the scrap. No value in mechanical parts, so he just picks them up pulls the g-tank, and sometimes the axles (if it is a 2.5) and crush. No need to really hold on to them as there is no real value in 20 yr old interiors