Door and window Rubbers

Depends on which ones you are talking about...for the window there are 3 diiferent weather/air strips. The wipes which obviously are at the bottom of the window frame and wipe the window as it rolls down...a complete set is close to a $100.00 from teamCherokee. Then there is the rubber strip that for some reason only goes along the rear side rail and along the top edge of the window frame...they run about $33.00 a set OEM from Mopar Parts.

The bigger bummer is the semi rigid one that is in the front edge or frame of the window...that bugger is rare and runs 99 a piece from team Cherokee.

I 'thought" I ordered the front channel from Mopar but they had it listed wrong ( or I am a dumbass..take your pick) and got the flexible rubber felt lined piece for the rear vertical channel/top rail. Which I did not need so now I have a complete set of those for both doors.

I have decided to use a similar approach for the forward vertical channel and forgo the OEM rigid one as it is stupid expensive. I have found on JCW a flexible rubber felt lined strip that measures the same as the forward channel and am ordering that. Anything to stop the rattle and wind blowing in. Now you can't use the same piece that runs along the rest of the window as that channel is wider than the forward one and won't fit...I know..I triued to cram the one I just got from Mopar in there...no luck....although I am not even sure they sent the correct piece anyway.

I gave up on Junk yards as stuff rots here in AZ sun in a few years so hoping to find a set is pointless.

As for the door weatherstrip...most decent auto parts stores carry a few types that will work fine....it is just the window that seems to be a b*@$£.

scott

Went ahead and ordered the 4-piece window wipe set from Team Cherokee. How hard is it to change those things? Am I going to have to remove the door panels to change them? The one on the outside of the passenger door is gone, and the other three are pretty much rotted. With shipping that set is costing me $117, but hopefully that'll be the last set I'll ever have to buy...

Thanks for the information azscott. I too also live in an area that is HOT and rots everything. The SOUTH FLORIDA sun along with the salt air, living within a mile of the ocean is rough on everything, especially in October when the wind blows. My manual crank-up widow regulators are also shot, the exterior paint is shot, my wallet is going to be shot. So I want to do this one time. Let me know which rubbers work out best. This is my CHRISTMAS PRESENT. :brows:

Went ahead and ordered the 4-piece window wipe set from Team Cherokee. How hard is it to change those things? Am I going to have to remove the door panels to change them? The one on the outside of the passenger door is gone, and the other three are pretty much rotted. With shipping that set is costing me $117, but hopefully that'll be the last set I'll ever have to buy...

You've probably already installed these by now, but I am in the process of replacing my drivers side window and here's how I'm going to do the wipes I just ordered.

Remove the door panel. It's just 3 screws around the door release. and 2 in the arm rest. Then wiggle the door latch through the hole in the door panel. If your arm rests have the door pulls, rotate the arm rest toward the top of the door and pull it off. Once the door panel is off you can remove the torx (or depending on the year there may be a nut) that holds the window glass to the window regulator. This will allow you to drop the glass about 4 inches. You will then have all the clearance you need to remove the old wipes and install the new ones. Oh, also the window crank is just pushed on and you have to pull pretty hard to get it free. I'm not really sure if the wipes will come off or go on without removing the door panel and dropping the window. You'll probably end up taking it all apart if you drop one of the "S" clips that hold the wipe.

Mac...

Got the window wipes today, and they went on pretty easy. Started with the driver's side, since I knew I could roll that window down and roll it back up (the passenger window won't roll up if it's rolled all the way down). I rolled the window all the way down, and removed the door panel. The inside wipe just pulls up, and the outside one is a little harder, just have to release the tension on the three clips and pull that one off. Test fitted the pieces, to make sure I had the right ones on the right doors. I started with the outside one first, pushing the "fuzzy" side of the wipe into the clip closest to the vent window. Then just pressed it down along the edge, pulling the clips slightly apart with a thin screwdriver, and seating the wipes. The inside piece was just as easy, just pushing down hard so the long edge got under the window channel edge. There's no way I could've done this without removing the door panel, because there's a lip on the inner wipe that the top edge of the door panel sits in. So the driver's side was done in about 15 minutes, and I started on the passenger side.

I repeated the steps I just did for the driver's door, and went to install the outer wipe first, when I realized the clips were missing. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the aluminum trim piece along the very bottom of the window opening in the door was missing, thus the reason why the clips were missing! So I installed the wipe anyway, since I didn't have anything there in the first place, and didn't bother replacing the inner one, since it looked fine. Plus, I didn't want to risk lowering the window all the day again, and have to fight to get it rolled back up. The window rolled up fine, and will provide a nice seal against water dripping down into the door.

I think these four pieces are WAY overpriced, since I paid $116 for all four delivered. But I'm planning on going to the local pick and pull tomorrow, and see if they have that missing window trim piece. Those window wipes will probably be one of the few OEM parts I'll ever buy for my MJ!

I think these four pieces are WAY overpriced, since I paid $116 for all four delivered. But I'm planning on going to the local pick and pull tomorrow, and see if they have that missing window trim piece. Those window wipes will probably be one of the few OEM parts I'll ever buy for my MJ!

I just put mine in last week and I agree the price is awful. I had to replace the broken passenger glass too but luckily I have a parts comanche. The local auto glass place wanted $225 for the glass and more if they had to replace moldings. But the price of these wipes offset my big savings on the used window glass.

Anyway, I did it pretty much like you did, but at 17 degrees the rubber is really hard. I had to loosen the bolt at the bottom of the vent window frame to get enough clearance to get the inside wipe behind the vent frame. And beat it into submission with a rubber mallet.

Mac...