factory plow, helper air bags up front?

my brother is picking up an OEM meyers plow setup for the front of his MJ soon.

we're also swapping axles for a disco d30 with d44 (trac-loc) that are 3.55 gear. going from 30/35 combo with 3.07.

he's putting new 31" bridgestone duellers on his icon rims, hopefully a set of stanley rear springs (metric tonne replica on the MJ I sold to TNT) that will bump it up to 3.5" rear lift. we're keeping the 3" RC front coils and adding one or two factory isolators to each side.

I've had an OEM plow before, and it was very hard on the front end even after we swapped the stock jeep to heavy duty front coils.

there are a few guys on here, IIRC, who added a manually-aired air bag inside their front coils so they could adjust the stiffness of the front end when the plow was on. wondering who it was, where they got them, and how much they are, plus any pics I can get. this is the only viable solution IMHO as it's a lifted truck and they don't make lift coils in the spring rate I need.

-Pat

Yea, I'm one with a plow :D

But, I have not gone with the air bags.........yet........I've installed spacers in the front coils, and ran the past 2 years like that. This year, when I get time :roll: I'm going with the V8 WJ coils to see it that makes a difference.

I'll let you know after next weekend.......got to get the MJ ready for the snow......just no time the past 3 months :fs1:

I don't know if the air bags will work with 3" lift coils :hmm: But, I'm sure you'll find a way to make them work :D

To install the air bags, you need to take the isolators out.

If your re-gearing to 3.55's, what tranny are you running???

This MJ has the BA10, 3.07's and I can not push with 4 hi, I need to use low for pushing. The other MJ I was plowing with had a AW4, 3.55's, and had no problems pushing in 4 hi.

One note on plowing..........the smaller the tires, the better. Big, wide tires run like $#!& in the snow, they ride on top of the snow, and you lose traction, or no traction at all. Smaller, stock, 235/75R15's should be the biggest tire to run, this is what I've used the past 5-6 years, and never had a problem with pushing 2 feet of snow :brows:

That link to the Air lift 1000 is a good price, Air lift in one of the only company's that make the coil air bag kits, the other is Firestone.

Yea, I'm one with a plow :D

But, I have not gone with the air bags.........yet........I've installed spacers in the front coils, and ran the past 2 years like that. This year, when I get time :roll: I'm going with the V8 WJ coils to see it that makes a difference.

I'll let you know after next weekend.......got to get the MJ ready for the snow......just no time the past 3 months :fs1:

I don't know if the air bags will work with 3" lift coils :hmm: But, I'm sure you'll find a way to make them work :D

To install the air bags, you need to take the isolators out.

If your re-gearing to 3.55's, what tranny are you running???

This MJ has the BA10, 3.07's and I can not push with 4 hi, I need to use low for pushing. The other MJ I was plowing with had a AW4, 3.55's, and had no problems pushing in 4 hi.

One note on plowing..........the smaller the tires, the better. Big, wide tires run like poo in the snow, they ride on top of the snow, and you lose traction, or no traction at all. Smaller, stock, 235/75R15's should be the biggest tire to run, this is what I've used the past 5-6 years, and never had a problem with pushing 2 feet of snow :brows:

That link to the Air lift 1000 is a good price, Air lift in one of the only company's that make the coil air bag kits, the other is Firestone.

this is an 88, was my first ax15 conversion, the second 4x4 conversion. had a 2wd ba10/5, now ax15/external/np231. it's got a new motor in it, and has quite alot of power. it's been pushing 31's for quite awhile now (3 years about) and has no issues...didn't have any issues with the plow we had on it previously.

this isn't the first factory plow we've had, and not the first time this truck has had one on it. We already know what it can do with 31's and it doesn't require 4L to push if the snow isn't above 7" or so.

as far as how it works with lift coils, I'm not too worried about that either. this truck is getting lifted 3.5" and that's that. not an option to keep it low, and the 3" RC AAL is tired.I'll make it work. thanks

I have an 88 mj 5 speed with the peugot tranny that is working just fine for now. I do have a snoway plow in it to plow my own personal driveway only. I went with the snoway set up because is very lite as the plow frame is metal but the plow blade is clear lexan plastic. The entire set up including the subframe weigh in at 400 pounds. The front end dives down a good 3 to 4 inches when the plow is lifted and the rear end goes up as well. My solution was to install air bags / helper springs from Air lift. Is nothing more that a bladder that fits inside the front coils that you can pump air to stiffen the front end. Super easy to install and you can use your shop compressor to inflate the air bags to help you carry the additional load. They work great. They sell you an optional compressor that you can mount in the jeep to monitor the pressure and add air as needed from inside the cab but I find it just as easy to use my own shop air. I like this set up so much I added a similar air bag system to the rear end of the truck to help me carry more cargo w/o ridding on the bumpstops.

I have an 88 mj 5 speed with the peugot tranny that is working just fine for now. I do have a snoway plow in it to plow my own personal driveway only. I went with the snoway set up because is very lite as the plow frame is metal but the plow blade is clear lexan plastic. The entire set up including the subframe weigh in at 400 pounds. The front end dives down a good 3 to 4 inches when the plow is lifted and the rear end goes up as well. My solution was to install air bags / helper springs from Air lift. Is nothing more that a bladder that fits inside the front coils that you can pump air to stiffen the front end. Super easy to install and you can use your shop compressor to inflate the air bags to help you carry the additional load. They work great. They sell you an optional compressor that you can mount in the jeep to monitor the pressure and add air as needed from inside the cab but I find it just as easy to use my own shop air. I like this set up so much I added a similar air bag system to the rear end of the truck to help me carry more cargo w/o ridding on the bumpstops.

thanks thats what I wanted to know.

he's got on board air so he's good on airing it up. very easy :D

picked up the plow today. bro ended up paying $1000 for it. it needs maintenance and I have to completely redo the wiring, but everything is in good order. a bunch of clean up, some paint, some new decals made to replace the OEM ones, and it's good as new.

guy he got it from was the shadiest mofo I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. not fun.

how bout f150 coils :dunno: lift and stiff...

no. it has 3.5" lift, getting 3.5" lift in the rear. f150 coils are 1" lift...not enough.

I know that these air bags are what we want in it...just wanted to know more about them.

'79 f150 coils give 4" t0 4.5"

stated here and elsewhere--http://reddeerjeep.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=782

how bout f150 coils :dunno: lift and stiff...

no. it has 3.5" lift, getting 3.5" lift in the rear. f150 coils are 1" lift...not enough.

I know that these air bags are what we want in it...just wanted to know more about them.

'79 f150 coils give 4" t0 4.5"

stated here and elsewhere--http://reddeerjeep.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=782

thanks.

I'm interested in the air bags, not the F150 coils.

the point is to be able to adjust the pressure to the weight...it doesn't need to ride like a brick when the plow is off.

I had a hard time locating a set of airbags for my 89 when I installed the 6 foot meyer plow on mine. I ended up getting a set of air shocks and mounting them in place of the regular shocks on my mj. I run them with about 25 psi normally and then air them up when I put the blade on. After I mount the blade I raise it up and air the shocks up till the truck sets like it does without the plow. This will be my third season plowing with them and I havent had any problems yet and I run them year round.