re centering the steering wheel.

Being that these trucks are older than most the adjusting sleeve on my tierod is a liitle hesitant to turn. Is it alright to use a pipe wrench on the adjuster to get it to turn or will this damage other parts? I just replaced my outer tie rod and don't want to pay $50 to just re center my wheel. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Use whatever will work for you, shouldnt hurt the ends unless they are bad already, and if you break something, then at least youll have an excuse to get a new one!, And you know, the sleeve you need to adjust is the one on the arm connected to the steering box arm. That one will center your steering.

Being that these trucks are older than most the adjusting sleeve on my tierod is a liitle hesitant to turn. Is it alright to use a pipe wrench on the adjuster to get it to turn or will this damage other parts? I just replaced my outer tie rod and don't want to pay $50 to just re center my wheel. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

You do not adjust the sleeve on the tierod to center the steering wheel, that's for toe. You adjust the sleeve on the draglink.

I had to use a pipe wrench when I took the lift out of my '88 MJ. The sleeve was rusted pretty solidly in place. Apply liberal quantities of PB Blaster daily for a week before you attempt to adjust. (And remember to loosen the clamps ... :doh:)

I read an article somewhere where a guy had done a study and 50/50 ATF and Acetone was by far the best you could get for the money.

I know wd-40 was at about the bottom of the list, PB about mid way, Kroil was at the top but the mix was above it.

Seems there was one better but it was really expensive and maybe not even publicly available.

I actually keep a bucket of leftover ATF and brake fluid and the ends of cans of PB blaster and the like as a parts/tool lubricator/cleaner/deruster. Works better than any other stuff I've ever used. If I have to loosen some really rusty stuff on a car, I grab a solo cup and scoop some of that nasty bucket up and pour it on whatever needs to be loosened on the car and I let it soak for a couple of hours. Normally does the trick quite well.