my 87' long bed

So i've kinda been lurking around here for a while and just got some pictures of my truck that i have been working on. kinda bad cell phone pics. sorry about that. so here's the run down. its an 87' 4.0, 5 speed, 4x4,d30 F and d35 R, np231, long bed with 130,000 miles on the clock. I got it last winter for $800 off of craigslist. it looked like it was sitting for a while. when i went to look at it i drove it around the block, knew i wanted it, paid the kid and jumped on the interstate to head back home. So far i have replaced both driver and pass. side floorboards. the exhaust from the cat back. the pass side fender, grill, headlight bezels, header panel, pass door. and then i scored a slider from somebody on the CC and had that put in. i'm in the middle of sanding her down for a paint job. as she sits now she is part oem red and part macco red, with some random white and primer body panels. i can't decide if i'm gunna paint her red or turn her white or go all out and spray her in that new greenish color the new wranglers come in. after i just put her front end all back together i'm on the fence on doing the newer body style front end. since my xj has a RE 4.5 kit and i'm in love with it, more then likely the MJ will get the RE 5.5 kit unless i find something that everybody seems to think is better. so this is where she stands white now. any input would be great guys. ok now for some pictures. - cody

hope this worked...

ya there is some rust on the bottom of edge of the bed but its not swiss cheese yet, its just a bit pitted. i'm not sure how i'm going to fix it yet. i like how people have cut off up to the first body line right behind the rear wheels that doesnt look that bad. then there are some dents and dings but i'm gunna pull those all out and fill them in with lead. for wheels i'm thinking probably some black steelies.

So i've kinda been lurking around here for a while and just got some pictures of my truck that i have been working on. kinda bad cell phone pics. sorry about that. so here's the run down. its an 87' 4.0, 5 speed, 4x4,d30 F and d35 R, np231, long bed with 130,000 miles on the clock. I got it last winter for $800 off of craigslist. it looked like it was sitting for a while. when i went to look at it i drove it around the block, knew i wanted it, paid the kid and jumped on the interstate to head back home. So far i have replaced both driver and pass. side floorboards. the exhaust from the cat back. the pass side fender, grill, headlight bezels, header panel, pass door. and then i scored a slider from somebody on the CC and had that put in. i'm in the middle of sanding her down for a paint job. as she sits now she is part oem red and part macco red, with some random white and primer body panels. i can't decide if i'm gunna paint her red or turn her white or go all out and spray her in that new greenish color the new wranglers come in. after i just put her front end all back together i'm on the fence on doing the newer body style front end. since my xj has a RE 4.5 kit and i'm in love with it, more then likely the MJ will get the RE 5.5 kit unless i find something that everybody seems to think is better. so this is where she stands white now. any input would be great guys. ok now for some pictures. - cody

hope this worked...

If you want the images to display in your post use the img tag instead of the url tag. PhotoBucket makes this very easy. All you need to do is copy the IMG Code located on the left side of the PhotoBucket screen. This is already formatted with the img tag.

Willy

ya i see what i did wrong with the pictures, thanks guys. i'll get my act together next time haha. so i'm thinking i found a 98 xj classic donor for $500. this would allow me to do the front end swap along with the whole drive train from the xj. and it has buckets and the nice 5 spoke rims, along with other odds and ends i would need to finish my project. so my question is how hard is it to completely swap the drive train into my mj? all the wiring and the computers should be in the xj so wouldnt it be as simple as swapping all the parts?

• 10 months later...

So it has been a pretty long time since I updated about my MJ. I have gotten a lot done in the past months. I won't bore you with all the details, but here are a couple pictures of how she sits now.

for right now I'm just using her as a d/d. I will be picking up a matching camper top soon. I love the color white on the MJ, but it makes the long bed seem even longer. I can't decide on a lift set up yet so I'm going to wait until the winter to tear apart the suspension.

So it has been a pretty long time since I updated about my MJ. I have gotten a lot done in the past months. I won't bore you with all the details, but here are a couple pictures of how she sits now.

for right now I'm just using her as a d/d. I will be picking up a matching camper top soon. I love the color white on the MJ, but it makes the long bed seem even longer. I can't decide on a lift set up yet so I'm going to wait until the winter to tear apart the suspension.

You would not bore me with all the details. Heck reading these forms beats watching boring ole TV. :nuts: Oh and the long beds are awesome, nothing like being longer than the compition, plus you can haul a bunch more crap. I wish my short bed was a long bed. :chillin:

Nice work by the way; keep the progress rolling.

Thanks for the kind words guys. When I got her she was at least 3 different reds that I saw. Since I saw my first white long bed on the forum here I knew I wanted a white one. And since most of the replacement sheet metal came from a white xj, it only made my choice that much easier. I think the only metal that's original is the bed, the cab and the driver side door. Thank god for all the xj's in the jy. As far as engine work i haven't really done much, an oil change w/ new filter, an air filter, new battery and battery leads, and new exhaust. she runs a little rough but once i get some more time I'll do plugs and wires, maybe the cap and rotor, and new head gasket.

Other then my turn signal problem she isn't a bad d/d.

And as far as long bed / short bed goes.. I love the long bed i just helped a friend move and it was great having the space. But in college, I built a fully caged and fiber glassed pre runner s-10. And my head is going crazy with ideas of a pre runner MJ. :idea: :drool: