Stange turn signal/parking light behavior

I know there have been a multitude of posts about the front turn signals and parking lights not functioning properly, and God knows I have had my fair share of fun trying to figure them out. After searching the forums and not finding anything like my problem I wondered if anyone had experienced it and, if so, how they solved it.

The turn signals work, but blink slowly. the parking lamps will not light, either when the headlight knob is pulled out to the frist detent or when fully extended. I have checked all the grounds and although there was corrosion in the main plug on the headlight harness I have cleaned it and confirmed power at that plug.

I just finished refurbishing/replacing/repairing the entire A/C systen in the truck and found that the engine bay harness was modified in numerous spots by the PO, but is does not appear that the parts of hte harness dealing with the front end have been changed.

Any suggestions? This is getting to be an irritation, and will keep me from getting an inspection sticker.

Thanks!

pull the park lights themselves out, and investigate the sockets for corrosion and overall junked-out-ed-ness... they are highly prone to being junked. also they are available in the HELP! section, i think it's a ford light socket, both of mine had to be replaced recently.

also, i don't know the price of a flasher unit but it's easy enough to change, if it costs 5$ throw a flasher relay in it and see if it changes anything, you could also switch the hazards/flasher relays and see if that helps any.

one more thing, out of curiosity... when the lights don't work, do the turn signal indicators illuminate and stay lit steady?

I would test the bulb sockets for continuity. Both my sockets on my MJ had the ground tab rusted out. New sockets are around $9, IIRC.

I would also replace the bulbs with brand new bulbs. You might want to look into replacing the light switch as well.

Are we talking the front parking lights, or all four? Do the 4-way hazard flasjers work?

My guess is that the parking light sockets aren't getting a ground. You confirmed that you have power, so the only part left to complete the circuit (other than a known-good bulb) is a ground.

Its most likely a grounding issue! like mentioned above replace the sockets and check all your grounds for corrosion! I have had similar issues on all my jeeps and could not 100% track the problem to one thing so just keep pokeing around and they will magically start working... wish there was a solid answer to your problem to give you! Good luck and post your findings!

:cheers: :Canadaflag:

one more thing, out of curiosity... when the lights don't work, do the turn signal indicators illuminate and stay lit steady?

The left one used to, but stopped when I cleaned the corrosion off the main plug for the harness.

Are we talking the front parking lights, or all four? Do the 4-way hazard flasjers work?

My guess is that the parking light sockets aren't getting a ground. You confirmed that you have power, so the only part left to complete the circuit (other than a known-good bulb) is a ground.

Four way flashers work fine. Rear parking lights are fine. only the front parking lights are non-op.

I "@$$-umed" that the front harness gets its ground through the main harness, as I see no seperate ground.

The left one used to, but stopped when I cleaned the corrosion off the main plug for the harness.

Four way flashers work fine. Rear parking lights are fine. only the front parking lights are non-op.

I "@$$-umed" that the front harness gets its ground through the main harness, as I see no seperate ground.

Each socket has a ground on it as well. Its a small tab that sticks through the side of the socket.

There should be an additional ground from the front header panel harness right behind the left headlight, on the inner fender.

Oizzy is correct........the replacement sockets are a "Help" item.......Ford Socket. But, the wire colors are not right, and I can't remember which 2 need to be connected :hmm:

Each socket has a ground on it as well. Its a small tab that sticks through the side of the socket.

Not applicable here, the light lenses are plastic, and so are the sockets.

There should be an additional ground from the front header panel harness right behind the left headlight, on the inner fender.

Oizzy is correct........the replacement sockets are a "Help" item.......Ford Socket. But, the wire colors are not right, and I can't remember which 2 need to be connected :hmm:

Not applicable here, the light lenses are plastic, and so are the sockets.

The ground wire ends in a metal strip that runs up the side of the bulb socket, then goes through the plastic and goes into where the bulb seats. On both of my front signals, the metal tab had rusted where it goes through the socket.