Brake rotor fitment, 1990 MJ

..Almost positive its a high pinion D30. Jeep is at the shop right now having a new fuel sending unit put on it because somehow I broke mine out hunting. The 90 degree elbow coming out of the tank was broken and fuel was leaking from it :(

I will double check though and tell ya for sure

Not my pic. got that from a google search.

If I never own a LP D30 it'll be too soon.

well I hope my memory serves me right and it IS a high pinion D30, lol. :)

if it is indeed a high pinion d30, would that also support my theory on these 99+ rotors?

After 89-90',whenever 2wd's went to a unit bearing,do the 2wd and 4wd use the same unit bearing hub assembly,therefore the same rotors?

IIRC 2wd beams were a unit bearing from 84-86, then went to spindles, and didn't go back to unit bearings until after 96. I believe the unit bearing 2wd beams use the same brake parts as 4wd. The only difference is there's a dummy stub shaft in the unit bearing instead of an actul axle shaft.

well I hope my memory serves me right and it IS a high pinion D30, lol. :)

if it is indeed a high pinion d30, would that also support my theory on these 99+ rotors?

Nope, almost quite the opposite. XJs and MJs used a HP D30 from 84-99. In 00 and 01, the XJ received the LP D30. ALL YJs, TJs, ZJs, and WJs got LP D30s.

went and got the 2000 brake rotors from napa. they are the correct depth, not sure if they are the right hub diameter or not yet...have to pop the wheel off and see. If this doesnt work, I have successfully run out of options at napa, as for their rotors...part number run for 89 and below...90-99 ...then 00-01. Already tried the 89's and they were too small of a hub diameter but correct depth. 90's were correct hub diamter, depth was way to deep. 00's are the correct depth, not sure about the hub diameter yet.

Still don't know for sure on the high or low pinion. I'll get back to ya! Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I successfully installed the 99-01 brake rotors on my 1990 jeep. So I guess I have new axles front and rear as it turns out. I knew I had a replacement rear axle, but not the front.

The '2000' rotors I purchased from napa slid right on, perfect fit.

Thanks for all the guess's and trying to help me out, was starting to swet a little there after trying the 90-99 and then the 87-89 with no luck...this was my last shot.

thanks again for all the posts!

Seems like "Eagle" has the right information. I am working on my front disc brakes right now. I have an 1898 MJ four wheel drive. The rotors are eleven inches wide and the brake pads are 1 3/4 wide. What I am I getting into here? What are the best wearing brake pads, rotors and other parts to use? Are the front wheel bearing serviceable like in repacking them? or are they sealed? :dunno:

I read 1987comanche response to the brake problem, your right. My 1989 MJ with four wheel drive has different brakes, rotors and calipers, than his 1990 MJ. Under the supplier he used, I compared my 1989 MJ to and they were different. The wearever gold pads are numbered GMKD-203, rotors wearever YH141194, and the cardone brake rotors 184182. watch for the difference :nuts:

Are the front wheel bearing serviceable like in repacking them? or are they sealed? :dunno:

The early (AMC) hub/bearing units are theoretically serviceable. but it requires a 12-ton or 20-ton shop press to take them apart to access the bearings. In practice, although you can buy the replacement bearings and seals from Quadratec, for a couple of bucks more you can buy a complete new unit, so they are treated as disposable. The Chrysler-era ones are not serviceable.