want info on, Diesel CRD 3.0L in the 08 Cherokee

Hi my name's Casey, I have 13 months to be without wife and away from all family; I have a newly owned 1992 MJ, 2WD, 4.0L 6 cylinder. I bought it here in OK with hardly any rust even under the carpets (which is in the dumpster now). I am going to make it a project, hopfully a big one. Since I have the time and the money I was really considering finding a CRD 3.0L in the 08 Cherokee as a swap for my engine. I hope to make a nice 4x4 off road machine.

I am inexperienced but I believe I can do it, and I am a hard worker.

Please help me with all the advice and information I might need to know for this swap.

I'll start a buiild page soon. :cheers:

Where are you at/from.

In the states and Canada Cherokee would most likely refer to Grand Cherokee, as there hasn't been a Cherokee since 2001.

If oversees, what is sold as a Cherokee there, is called a Liberty here.

Is all the work I'm going to experience going to be just learn as I go? It's going to be a project, with a lot of new stuff. What about things I'll need to be looking into buying now, like fuel lines or possibly a new cluster. I'm wondering if I could put in a turbo psi gauge.

To do this swap sucessfully, you will need an ENTIRE CRD donor, not just the engine. Get a complete donor and swap EVERYTHING over from the Grand to the MJ. That is the easiest way to tell you how to do it. If you buy just an engine, I don't see you ever making it work properly. The CRD engines run fuel induction like a gasoline engine with electronic injectors at each cylinder, and the fuel pressure is MUCH MUCH higher than a normal diesel. You will need all the fuel lines, fuel tank, lift pump, injector pump....EVERYTHING form the grand. That includes the interior wiring too, and guage cluster. You won't be able to make any other guages work with the Grand wiring harness. You may be able to add on a boost pressure guage, but that would be outside of the original harness. This same engine is also used in 2007 and newer Dodoge Sprinter Vans, Freightliners and Mercedes Vans of the same style... so that may broaden your search for a donor vehicle. Ive driven the Sprinters and they pull like you wouldnt beleive, but now that I think of it, if you want to stay with a 4x4 driveline, the Grand is probably a better choice. Good luck and keep us updated.

TY all for the info!!! :D I completely understand what all I would be getting into, if I find a donor. And 25,000 :headpop: holy crap that's as much as I paid for my MK. I was hoping for a little less, although if I am going to do it, why not go all out. Thanks again, a complete swap was what I was expecting, I don't think that the 08 Grand Cherokee has a turbo PSI gauge, I tried to find out but I had little luck. :fs1:

If anyone can link me a good pick of the cluster maybe I can see if it can be custom fabricated to fit the MJ interior. I'm going to make this MJ "nice", perfect interior and all. Might take years. :chillin:

About the build date on my MJ i'll have to check it tomorrow, the water pump went out on it this morning and leaked 1/2 of my coolant by 7am before I knew it. I'm paying someone to do it for me, my Wife isn't gone yet so I'm spending my time with her or I would love to do it myself. So the MJ's not outside or I would check. I'm curious on why you want to know. :dunno:

Thanks again for the infor, looking forward to more, lol :yes:

Is all the work I'm going to experience going to be just learn as I go? It's going to be a project, with a lot of new stuff. What about things I'll need to be looking into buying now, like fuel lines or possibly a new cluster. I'm wondering if I could put in a turbo psi gauge.

aftermarket boost gauges are very easy to install... you can either install a vacuum tee inline with the map sensor vacuum line or most any small intake vacuum line, or you can drill a small hole in the intake and screw a vacuum port into that to connect the vacuum line to, then you just run the line through the firewall and into the truck

MFR 9/91, I guess that means that it was built November of 1991. And Pete, I'm located in OKC. I'm making a trip to CO in Feb, which is cool. :chillin: Thanks for the info man

The Sapulpa auctions are in OK, KS, and MO. You do not need to be a dealer for KS or OK. I am planning on registering to find an XJ for the drive line, etc fro my truck. I have seen one CRD Grand posted there, no idea how much it went for.

https://www.sapulpapool.com/new/default.asp

Isn't 9/91 September '91? If so, our trucks are birth brothers.

MFR 9/91, I guess that means that it was built November of 1991. And Pete, I'm located in OKC. I'm making a trip to CO in Feb, which is cool. :chillin: Thanks for the info man

The Sapulpa auctions are in OK, KS, and MO. You do not need to be a dealer for KS or OK. I am planning on registering to find an XJ for the drive line, etc fro my truck. I have seen one CRD Grand posted there, no idea how much it went for.

https://www.sapulpapool.com/new/default.asp

Isn't 9/91 September '91? If so, our trucks are birth brothers.

YEAH~~!!! September, idk what I was thinking :eek: ... Yeah my truck looks just like yours same paint and everything, well when you bought it. Pretty awesome.

You better get under that carpet soon cause that rust creeps up on you. I took mine out and it had puddled water under it!!! I escaped with only minor rust damage. But it's real hard to dry under there, and water comes in a million different ways.

Not to pry, but why are you away from everyone for 13 months? :hmm:

Rob L.

No worries. My wife and I are both active military. We're currently in central Oklahoma away from our home town and family from west North Carolina. She is deploying this month and she won't be back until Jan 2011 :ack: :( I'll have plenty of time on my hands, so I will spend all my time building this truck. lol. 8)