need advice

My truck is going into the shop this week to have some motor work done

I'm having front and rear-main seals replaced, crankshaft bearings, a melling high-flow oil pump installed, timing chain and gears replaced.

anything else i should have done while its at the shop and opened up?

Thanks

I'm guessing he has low oil pressure, and is trying to 'fix' it.

I don't want to say you 'have' to rebuild this engine, but I'd want to check out the crank before deciding to swap new bearings in it.

It's more work (might as well pull the engine at that point),

but if the crank is starting to get scored, new bearings aren't gonna stay new for long.

:agree: Guessing only too, but no mention of mileage and/or what the problem is. Might be better off and mucho cheaper scouring the yards and swapping in a low mileage engine.

If I was replacing the oil pump anyway, I'd go with a high flow. Last time I priced them, the high flows were only a couple bucks more than the oem ones.

There is an ongoing thread on the Yahoo Groups Stroker forum regarding the Melling Hi-flow oil pump. Interesting reading. In the OP's case I don't think it's necessary. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers/

does anyone know wear i can find a starter relay for my mj it has a 4.0 an it is going out on me i have to manualy start when it gets warm or gets a bad conection

Your question has nothing to do with the topic on this thread. Please do not butt in to existing threads; start your own post. You WILL get more answers and advice by doing it this way. :cheers:

Well the main reason I'm doing all this is the engine has almost 220,xxx miles, the rear main is almost gone and the front is leaking, so I'm going to get that fixed no matter what, the rest of it is kinda cause i have the money now for it, and i plan on using this truck for the next 2 years as my DD, and i want to know for sure that there is nothing wrong with it, I'm really paranoid about oil pressure and scared to death my oil pump will quit 8) and from what ive read from all you great folks is if you got it open, do it,it will saves time and money down the road, and yes the crank will be looked over real good, and if scored will be reground, thanks guys :cheers:

GATOR88- :fool:

Well the main reason I'm doing all this is the engine has almost 220,xxx miles, the rear main is almost gone and the front is leaking, so I'm going to get that fixed no matter what, the rest of it is kinda cause i have the money now for it, and i plan on using this truck for the next 2 years as my DD, and i want to know for sure that there is nothing wrong with it, I'm really paranoid about oil pressure and scared to death my oil pump will quit 8) and from what ive read from all you great folks is if you got it open, do it,it will saves time and money down the road, and yes the crank will be looked over real good, and if scored will be reground, thanks guys :cheers:

There is an ongoing thread on the Yahoo Groups Stroker forum regarding the Melling Hi-flow oil pump. Interesting reading. In the OP's case I don't think it's necessary.

:agree:

High flow refers to volume, not pressure. With new bearings, there is no reason to spend extra money for a high flow oil pump.

IMO, at 220,000 on the clock, and you wanting a DD for at least a couple of years, you would be better off finding a lower mileage engine to swap in.

Why? if the bearings fix his oil pressure problem, he's good to go for a long time yet.

IMO, at 220,000 on the clock, and you wanting a DD for at least a couple of years, you would be better off finding a lower mileage engine to swap in.

Why? if the bearings fix his oil pressure problem, he's good to go for a long time yet.

Because he isn't doing the work himself. The labor to do mains, rods, pump, front and rear seals and t-chain & gears alone will get him a low mileage engine. At 220,000 it is getting tired. Yes boys, even 4.0's get worn out. If he were to bring that truck to me to do that kind of work with that many miles I would try to talk him out of it.

Low mileage doesn't always mean good either. A piss-poorly maintained 4.0 with 70k on it isn't gonna be better than a well taken care of 220k motor. He could very well pick up a low mileage engine, if he could find one, and end up putting bearings in it anyway.

Besides... if he's paying someone to do bearings for him... why would paying someone to do a motor swap make any more sense?

Didn't see a mention of oil pressure problems in this thread??

Low mileage doesn't always mean good either. A piss-poorly maintained 4.0 with 70k on it isn't gonna be better than a well taken care of 220k motor. He could very well pick up a low mileage engine, if he could find one, and end up putting bearings in it anyway.

Well no kidding. :shake: . He asked for advice, I gave him mine. Sorry it doesn't agree with yours. Granted, I've only been a Jeep tech since 1981, and have only rebuilt a couple hundred engines over the years. At 220,000 miles, there are a lot of items that could be ready to crap out.

still don't see where he says he has low oil pressure. just paranoid about oil pressure.

I don't see the word 'low' anywhere.

But whatever. I don't want to argue. As you said, he's got your advice and he's got mine. Hopefully whatever he decides works out for him.

:cheers: