School Me on Trannys

I have several question, and i want to make sure I'm right on everything else.

1.Jeep had a 3 speed Auto they used in 86's and earlier right? what was it's name?

2.Then they had the AX-4/AX-5 they used behind there 2.5L. what years?

3. BA 10/5 was used from 87-89 behind the 4.0L, and i know it aint worth shooting.

4. AX-15 behind the 4.0L from 90-?

5. AW-4 behind the 4.0L from ?-?

6. What Auto tranny was used for the 2.5L after 86 ?

7. Was the tranny's used in the 2.5L the same as the 2.8L

I have several question, and i want to make sure I'm right on everything else.

1.Jeep had a 3 speed Auto they used in 86's and earlier right? what was it's name?

TF 909 or TF 999

2.Then they had the AX-4/AX-5 they used behind there 2.5L. what years?

AX-4 84 up to about 92, AX-5 84 until 2001

3. BA 10/5 was used from 87-(mid)89 behind the 4.0L, and i know it aint worth shooting.

Might be fun though

4. AX-15 behind the 4.0L from (mid)89-?

5. AW-4 behind the 4.0L from ?-?

87-2001

6. What Auto tranny was used for the 2.5L after 86 ?

AW4

7. Was the tranny's used in the 2.5L the same as the 2.8L

Yup

XJ's got AW4's behind the 2.5's too.....my front axle (4.56) came out of one, and I saw another one at Harry's last summer (didn't have the tools or time to pull anything). Counting them, I've seen three other Jeeps with that setup, and they were all MJ's.

I've got an AW4 2.5 bellhousing, TCU, torque converter, and TBI (with the extra TPS connector) sitting in my parts pile, in case anyone's interested.......

Jeff

Keep in mind that the AW-4 behind the 2.5L 4-cylinder was only in the MJ. You won't find that if you go searching junkyards for wrecked XJs.

XJ's got AW4's behind the 2.5's too.....my front axle (4.56) came out of one, and I saw another one at Harry's last summer (didn't have the tools or time to pull anything).Jeff

Pretty sure they did. Only auto behind the 2.5 I've heard of after 86 was the AW-4.

man now i'm confused. :doh:

I've been wrong before, but ... if the AW-4 was the only automatic used behind the 2.5L after 1986, why are they so hard to find? That would suggest that ANY 4-cylinder XJ with an automatic from 1987 right up through 2000 should have an AW-4. But cruise the junkyards. How may are there? They virtually don't exist. I guess they made some ... Jeff tells me he has one ... but they are even more rare than the proverbial XJ Dana 44.

Believe this discussion came up before and was pointed to the Novak site which has the info about the 2.5 with AW4. Sure, I know don't believe everything you read on the web, but I don't think they would put out bogus info. Here's the link

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

Also, out of 3 years of hitting the JY's for parts, I can't recall ever seeing a 2.5 with an auto. I guess they may be harder to find then the D44. I have seen a couple of listings for them but for the most part it has been in MJ's.

:cheers:

Believe this discussion came up before and was pointed to the Novak site which has the info about the 2.5 with AW4. Sure, I know don't believe everything you read on the web, but I don't think they would put out bogus info. Here's the link

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

Also, out of 3 years of hitting the JY's for parts, I can't recall ever seeing a 2.5 with an auto. I guess they may be harder to find then the D44. I have seen a couple of listings for them but for the most part it has been in MJ's.

:cheers:

that helped thanks, A couple years back, a lady down the road has SWB, 87, 2wd, 2.5L with the AW-4, it wasn't best of condition but was not horrible, and it ran, I asked her twice about selling it she, said no, couple week's later she had it hauled to the crusher! :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: I was willing to pay more than what she got for just scrap metal :rant: soapbox.gif