new MJ in the stable - question

Ok, so my first 4.0! 88 longbed 4x4 with the BA10-5 tranny. Guy on the yahoo groups was selling it, someone called it a rust bucket. It's not that bad, but the bumper did fall off because the brackets were so rusty!

Seems to run good, 166K on the clock. I changed the oil and found the filter angled strangely - can the oil filter adapter be turned or angled??? I actually had to take off the charcoal cannister to get it on and off!

P1010153.JPG.xs.jpg

yeah you can rotate the filter adapter its bolted on with a T-60 torx bolt acording to the madXJ site here's the link http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/te ... ersion.htm

But that one is to point it straight back so a larger filter can be put on.

This looks like the index pin (it's a roll pin in the block) that keeps the filter pointed up or back is broken and has allowed the filter housing to rotate.

I'm not sure on how I'd feel about the stability of that housing. If it were me I'd be taking that filter housing off and inspecting the insides of it just to make sure all is well. Might want to, but if you do have the o-rings handy to replace them.

Read up on the link that JeepThing gave you up there it's a good link and a good write up, but I would check the guts of it at a minimum

I dunno, guys ... it looks okay to me. Note that in that photo the charcoal cannister isn't bolted to the frame rail, so it's closer to the oil filter than it should be. The oil pressure sender seems to be right over the filter, which is normal.

Those of you who have seen only 91 and newer 4.0L engines may not know that the 87-90 version used a metric thread filter that mounted pointing up and out like that, rather than the horizontal position Chrysler adopted in 91.

I dunno, guys ... it looks okay to me. Note that in that photo the charcoal cannister isn't bolted to the frame rail, so it's closer to the oil filter than it should be. The oil pressure sender seems to be right over the filter, which is normal.

Those of you who have seen only 91 and newer 4.0L engines may not know that the 87-90 version used a metric thread filter that mounted pointing up and out like that, rather than the horizontal position Chrysler adopted in 91.

X2

But I have never had to touch the canister to change the filter, on any of my three Renix 4.0l(Yes, I am a masochist)