Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Hi, I have a bad fuel tank sending unit in a 89 commanche long bed and can not seem to find the part anywhere. Called Jeep and they said they stopped making it and have searched online junk yards to no avail. Does any one know if the Cherokee sending unit is the same and or another substitute? I need a fuel gauge. Any help would be appreciated.

We made this little repair, you will need a multimeter and patience. :D

You have to pull out the fuel pump unit, the sending unit is attache with it. You could do it without dropping the tank.

Diagnotic:

- Could be a connection,You will see a wire attached to a rivet, check for the contact.

- If not working, You will open the little plastic cover of the sending, you will see a coil of wire. Check the coil for any wire cut(variable resistance). The reading should be between 0-95 ohms.

I think:

95 ohms for empty

0 ohm for full

Good luck :waving:

PM me if you need more info

For my MJ I took a New XJ Sender and cut and modified it to become an MJ sender... The XJ sender is not just oposite but it is not deep enough so tubing had to be added to get the XJ sender in the MJ Tank...

This is the Old MJ sender...

2370296970049369580S500x500Q85.jpg

This is the New XJ sender...

2782664350049369580S500x500Q85.jpg

I did not take a pic of the Modified sender before I installed it...

- If not working, You will open the little plastic cover of the sending, you will see a coil of wire. Check the coil for any wire cut(variable resistance). The reading should be between 0-95 ohms.

I think:

95 ohms for empty

0 ohm for full

I don't think that's correct. And don't forget they reversed the polarity from 1990 to 1991. I think the older ones were 0 ohms empty and 88 ohms full, and the newer ones were 5 ohms full and 105 ohms empty.