belt sqeal

If your belt tension is adjusted correctly, get a piece of 1/2" or so heater hose. ram one end in your ear, and place the other end close to each pulley the belt rides on. Where the squeel is coming from shoud be apparent.

we tried that holes trick but we used a block of wood and found nothing but the only one we didnt try is the one with the fan which we can't reach. I'm sure a new belt would work but i want to make sure before going out to buy a new one

My old minivan has a belt squeal. After determining the cause to be the idler pulley, I now simply touch the belt with a bar of soap and it quiets down. Maybe once a week I do that and it's way cheaper/easier than replacing the idler pulley. :thumbsup:

My old minivan has a belt squeal. After determining the cause to be the idler pulley, I now simply touch the belt with a bar of soap and it quiets down. Maybe once a week I do that and it's way cheaper/easier than replacing the idler pulley. :thumbsup:

Easier maybe, cheaper? Maybe not. The idler pulley bearings are less than $3.00/ea at Fastenal, take about 10 minutes to press out / press in, done. The cost of those bars of soap add up after awhile........... :cheers:

Easier maybe, cheaper? Maybe not. The idler pulley bearings are less than $3.00/ea at Fastenal, take about 10 minutes to press out / press in, done. The cost of those bars of soap add up after awhile........... :cheers:

and you're going to need a dedicated bar of soap for that because momma aint gonna be happy when she gets in the shower and her soap has 6 black grooves cut in it :fool:

I had a nasty belt squeal for awhile and thought it was the idler pulley, but after I had a mechanic friend look at it with me, we tightened the belt up a little and I haven't had a squeak since. I was told on here, IIRC, that if you can twist your belt more than a 1/2 turn it's too loose. Of course it depends on how hard you have to twist it, but a rule of thumb measurement I guess. I thought mine had plenty of tension on it, but obviously it did not. I say give that a shot.