Renix vs HO

The difference between the engines is not that great. Less than 15 hp. Torque peak is a bit higher in the rpms.

Did the 93 have the same size tires? Gearing? same type of transmission (auto/stick)? Is the Renix you're used to running the way it should?

Better control system, valves(I believe), intake/exhaust ports, better intake/exhaust manifolds, better cam.

:huh???:

The renix and OBD1 HO use the same cam. On a renix system, its retarded -8*. On the 91+ HO, its retarded -4*.

The difference between the engines is not that great. Less than 15 hp. Torque peak is a bit higher in the rpms.

Did the 93 have the same size tires? Gearing? same type of transmission (auto/stick)? Is the Renix you're used to running the way it should?

The difference IS that great. My auto '94 XJ buggy on 5.13s and 42" tires gets up and goes WAY better than my Renix MJ on 37s with 5.13s (an AW4). Neither engine has any performance mods except the MJ has a bored throttle body and 19lb mustang injectors.

my wifes ol xj (2000) wouls scream compared to my 89 mj...I think the biggest difference is just the powerband. The ho in the xj seemed to like the higher rpms. The old mj however loves to lug along at low rpms.....both the xj and my mj have 3:55 gears and p235 75 r 15's so there was no difference there. The xj always felt like is would blow the doors off the mj.....but......no matter how hard I tried I couldnt fit an atv in the xj....so ended up trading it in on the new liberty she bought.I couldnt bear to part with the mj. ..........I think I may have the sickness......lol.

87-95 (HO & Renix) = same cam

96+ (OBDII) = smaller cam (moved RPM of peak torque lower)

HO vs Renix:

HO has a better head, higher, more free flowing intake ports,

bigger throttle body, better flowing exhaust manifold (header),

bigger fuel injectors, higher fuel pressure.

Renix's EGR & knock sensor was deleted.

Rev limiter added.

Electronic speedo used.

Electronic controls completely revised , CEL now used (renix didn't have one), voltage regulator now part of ECU (also got rid of the Renix's GM alternator).

Same tranny/ Gears, My MJ as bigger tires/lift and it does weigh more, and i know its not as fast as it would be at stock, but will get up and move like nobodys bussniess, :yes: i did notice at the higher speeds it did have more get up and go then the mj.

yeah, well, in your case the parameters are so extreme that it's hard to confirm the correlation. :D Where are the mythbusters on this one?

My HO always pulled SUPER well. Since getting my Renix MJ about 5 months ago I have been all but impressed.

It is difficult to confirm the mileage on the Renix as the speedo no workie when I got it but my HO has 156K on it and from what I know about the MJ motor I would take a half-@$$ guess at 170K (122K on the speedo and it now works :) )