wheel bearings

So, I was going to order a set of cherokee hubs. I went to order them and asked the guy if they would work on my 87 Comanche with a d30 upfront, he told me that I didn't need the whole hub assembly and I should have regular tapered bearings that don't need pressed in. I see that advance auto has the tapered bearing.

Problem is that I know some of the drivetrain has been replaced by a PO. Obiously since I have an AX-15.

Is there any way for me to tell based on the outside of the hub, or just with the axle nut off? I don't want to take it apart and have the wrong parts.

Its a d30 with vacuum disco. I've not had the rotors off to look at the face off the hubs.

If you plan on keeping your D30, I strongly suggest getting the hub conversion from warn, or mile marker. You will come out moneyt ahead. Especially if you wheel your rig, or have larger tires. Most places wil not honor their parts warranty after one replacement.

Patrick

If you plan on keeping your D30, I strongly suggest getting the hub conversion from warn, or mile marker. You will come out moneyt ahead. Especially if you wheel your rig, or have larger tires. Most places wil not honor their parts warranty after one replacement.

Patrick

So spending 900 bucks, as opposed to 120 a piece is coming out ahead?

I've been wheeling exactly the same set of unit hubs for 3 years now, the only one I had to replace was the one that was fragged when I got the jeep. It's not big tires, and off-roading, It's driver behavior, and complete lack of maintenance that kills them.

yeah,I'd love to swap out axles, bu I'll be happy if I get it all back in good working order bfore winter. I did test my vacuum disco today, I jacked up one tire and trned it, drivers side turned the driveshaft, pasenger did the same. Popped it out of 4x4 and the passenger side just spun free with the drivers side down.

It's not big tires, and off-roading, It's driver behavior, and complete lack of maintenance that kills them.

What maintenance can be done?

Wow, I missed that line.

Big tires, and big offset will prematurely wear out unit bearings, but it can be somewhat controlled if you keep the offset to a minimum, keep the wheel/tire weight down and wheel sanely.

I have no idea how to maintain a unit bearing- I have always heard of them being called "Maintenance Free Unit Bearings" In fact, unless you have a press and the special Miller tool, you can't repack them, and the only ones you could repack in any case were the early ones from the '80s.

UP unitl I seen that item on ebay, the cheapest I could find them was 100 bucks a piece. I have been through 3 sets of wheel bearings in a yr. I always torque the axle nut. :(

I was running 33's with 4"BS, now I am running 35's with 31/2. As fo driving sanely offroad... How do you do that? I go out there to test my vehicles limits, not ride on the access roads. :twisted:

I also want to know how to perform maintenance on these unit bearings :?

Keep in mind I wheel my rig on a somewhat regular basis :D most months I go at least once, some times twice :-D , and I don't take the easy lines :twisted:

I was running 33's with 4"BS, now I am running 35's with 31/2. As fo driving sanely offroad... How do you do that? I go out there to test my vehicles limits, not ride on the access roads. :twisted:

Wheeling sanely and taking access roads are far from the same thing...

Water_Pump_Gulch_Avatar-_MORE.jpg

fb1ddaa3.jpg

100_0092.JPG

Paul_Surfin_Purgetory.sized.jpg

IM000924a.jpg

IM000480resized.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

But maybe my 10-20 trips a year aren't enough to be hard on the unit bearings, since I'm not testing my rigs' limits :roll:

I wasn't assuming anything about how "hardcore" you were- it's pretty silly for you to tell me what kind of wheelin' I do without knowing me...

Somethings not quite right with that listing, I'd try to verify what exactly he is selling first.

APPLICATION:#513107

JEEP

CJ SERIES 1987-1989

CHEROKEE, GRAND CHEROKEE 1984-1989

WAGONEER, GRAND WAGONEER 1984-1989

First, there was no 84-89 grand cherokee....and the 84-89 grand wagoneer was an SJ (FSJ) and I thought they usually had D44's with manual hubs?

Also he has the same picture for everything from Honda's to Mercury's.

Doesn't work for me anyways since I've got a 95 XJ D30 in my MJ and the hubs for 90-99.5 are different (found that out when I tried to re-use my old hubs in the new axle)

that's why I emailed to confirm. if not, there's another store on there that has them for $75, and he lists the comanche in the auction. I contacted them and they gave me the manufacturer part number. I don't have it with me, but his checked out. Those also had a "lifetime" warranty on them, but I don't know how good that warranty is.

Sorry if it seemed like I was asumming, I wasn't. For some reason... I destroy wheel bearings, and I don't know why. BTW cool pics.... where are the ones of the MJ on the trail :wink:

Patrick

I just bought the MJ in June, and it still needs a real rear end, a Cooter Cage, some dialing in of the propane, and a little more lift in the front.

I'm sure that after I take it out the first time, I'll next need to do something about Axlewrap Of Death :wink:

The plans for my rig as it stands now is full cage and tube bed after next weeks trip, then Full widths. I just acquired a HP44, and a HP9", plus a divorced 205. Thinking of doing some kinda doubler :twisted:

Right now I am running Alcan custom leaves, and I have no noticeable axle wrap... but this is also with a well used 4.0

Patrick

what leaves did you get and what ind of lift would I get with them if I was still SUA? I need new leaves in the rear, and I'm looking for modest lift. 3" tops. I just want the 31's to look right, and I want a bit more ground clearance. The truck isn't ready for serious stuff yet, and I don' have the cash to do all the front end mods that the front would need going higher than 2 or 3"

I went an ordered a set Of Alcan Springs. They are custome made. This means not cheap. They were 390 before shipping, and they were worth every Penny.

IF you ever even think that you will go higher, don't waste your money keeping your rig SUA.

Patrick