4.0 timing chain slop... is this to much?

no, just the chain. I'm extremely limited on funds. The old motor will end up getting rebuilt within the next few months, and will be going back in.

then i'd leave the chain alone to, i would never replace the chain without the sprockets, those sprockets wore to that chain. and they have just as many miles as that chain. replacing the chain only is just taking care of half the wear, but then changes how the new and old parts wear together. and after that, if you wanna replace the sprockets later to do it right, now you have a chain that broke in with old sprockets. if that motor isn't staying in long that chain has some miles left on it.

i only like to do things once though, so i still say replace it as a kit, or leave it and run it.

timing chain and sprockets are not as precise as some other gears, but i'd still do it all right once. that chain isn't gonna break anytime soon. if that motor was a keeper then it would be different, if its not a keeper as is, and you're low on money skip it all together.

just one man's opinion :smart: or :nuts: who knows

Not missing any teeth, sprockets are fine. I'm picking up my new chain tomorrow.

I don't think so. I was focused on the chain when I first looked, but younger eyes are sharper than mine. In your photo, at about the 8:00 o'clock position, it definitely looks like the tips are broken off several teeth on the cam sprocket.

no, just the chain. I'm extremely limited on funds. The old motor will end up getting rebuilt within the next few months, and will be going back in.

then i'd leave the chain alone to, i would never replace the chain without the sprockets, those sprockets wore to that chain. and they have just as many miles as that chain. replacing the chain only is just taking care of half the wear, but then changes how the new and old parts wear together. and after that, if you wanna replace the sprockets later to do it right, now you have a chain that broke in with old sprockets. if that motor isn't staying in long that chain has some miles left on it.

i only like to do things once though, so i still say replace it as a kit, or leave it and run it.

timing chain and sprockets are not as precise as some other gears, but i'd still do it all right once. that chain isn't gonna break anytime soon. if that motor was a keeper then it would be different, if its not a keeper as is, and you're low on money skip it all together.

just one man's opinion :smart: or :nuts: who knows

No, you don't stand alone on that, I'll 2X that opinion :D

Upon closer inspection, the sprockets have all teeth, intact. What you guys were seeing was just bad shadowing from my camera in my oh-so-wonderful phone.

I've got a 93 2.5 sitting here that might have better sprockets... if I could just get some verification that they are, indeed, the same parts?

Well, that's a relief. I was beginning to wonder about my eye's. I even pulled the pic and ran it through some other photo software but just couldn't clean it up enough to tell for sure.

Eagle, don't be too sure about the "younger eye's" unless your older than I am guessing. I pegged you for about 38 - 42 but without pictures of you or your trucks (hint!) it's just a guess. :waving:

Edit: just found other hints about your age, Eagle. Never mind, your probably a little past me. (But still young at heart, Right?)

Scott

Holding tight to 45, cause getting older is NOT fun anymore.