Evolution or Creation

bigalpha

Evolution or Creation  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Evolution or Creation

• Evolution
    • Creation
    • None of the Above

Do you guys think that Christianity/Religious and Creationism are mutually exclusive?

"Mutually exclusive" means if it is one, it cannot be the other. The one excludes the other, and the other excludes the one.

If Christianity and Creationism are mutually exclusive, then if you are a Christian you cannot be a creationist, and if you are a creationist you cannot be a Christian.

Not sure, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Whoops. You're right. That is not what I meant.

I figured out what you meant by reading the other posts... I can't comment on the actual questions (as it is meant to read), but I do have to say... There is a lot of 'Christians' in my part of the world that will have nothing to do with Creationism. They do not read the bible and seek a literal interpretation of what is in it, but accept (if you wish) that it is a book that was complied and adapted from other literature and it features the limited scientific knowledge of the time. Thus, they ignore a large portion of it on the basis that (the feel) it was mostly just filler material to bridge the gaps of understanding in a different time. Generally, they believe in God, attend church occasionally or somewhat often, and will try to live their lives loosely around some of the more important teachings in the book. I'd say they're like 'Diet Pepsi' of Christianity, the taste and colour without a lot of the other junk.

Most of them will never ask your views on God, or press theirs. They might make an occasional reference, but that's about it. And if asked about Creationism they simply state they think it's a wash, and often change the subject (unless they then decide they'd like to explain the entirety of their beliefs).

If you don't include these 'Christians' in the assessment of it being the largest religion in the world, Islam would most likely be the largest. As it is, I think it's fairly debatable. If asked, I often state I'm a 'WASP', despite the fact that I don't fit the bill of being a Christian at all, however I am from a family that is/was and still identify with those that are.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think that Christianity/Religious and Creationism are mutually exclusive?

"Mutually exclusive" means if it is one, it cannot be the other. The one excludes the other, and the other excludes the one.

If Christianity and Creationism are mutually exclusive, then if you are a Christian you cannot be a creationist, and if you are a creationist you cannot be a Christian.

Not sure, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Whoops. You're right. That is not what I meant.

I figured out what you meant by reading the other posts... I can't comment on the actual questions (as it is meant to read), but I do have to say... There is a lot of 'Christians' in my part of the world that will have nothing to do with Creationism. They do not read the bible and seek a literal interpretation of what is in it, but accept (if you wish) that it is a book that was complied and adapted from other literature and it features the limited scientific knowledge of the time. Thus, they ignore a large portion of it on the basis that (the feel) it was mostly just filler material to bridge the gaps of understanding in a different time. Generally, they believe in God, attend church occasionally or somewhat often, and will try to live their lives loosely around some of the more important teachings in the book. I'd say they're like 'Diet Pepsi' of Christianity, the taste and colour without a lot of the other junk.

Most of them will never ask your views on God, or press theirs. They might make an occasional reference, but that's about it. And if asked about Creationism they simply state they think it's a wash, and often change the subject (unless they then decide they'd like to explain the entirety of their beliefs).

If you don't include these 'Christians' in the assessment of it being the largest religion in the world, Islam would most likely be the largest. As it is, I think it's fairly debatable. If asked, I often state I'm a 'WASP', despite the fact that I don't fit the bill of being a Christian at all, however I am from a family that is/was and still identify with those that are.

What's a WASP?

I think Islam is the largest religion in the world even if you DO include those Christians. Without a doubt, Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world.

However, that's a topic for a different discussion, which also doesn't belong on a Jeep forum.

I think Islam is the largest religion in the world even if you DO include those Christians. Without a doubt, Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world.

However, that's a topic for a different discussion, which also doesn't belong on a Jeep forum.

It's not officially considered as the largest, as of now, but yes, I'll agree, we might as well avoid the topic. It was just an off-handed rhetoric to something posted earlier.

Evolution. Simply because it makes perfect sense to me! I belive that every living object on this planet have evolved from that single seed of life, in whatever shape and form it had, millions of years ago. I also belive that when I die, thats it! Game over, system shutdown, format c: etc etc... And thats the driving force in my life, the fact that i belive there is no heaven or hell, no life after death, no God that watches us from above. Thats what get me up from bed in the morning, I want to live my life to the max, experience nature in all its beauty, do a good job, make people around me happy, and do my very best to make shure the generations that follow me will get theyr chance to live theyr life as good, hopefully better, then I have.

I guess thats what we all want to do no matter what we belive in?

I don't understand this point of view...Us humans have a sinful nature, meaning we would rather do what is wrong than right.Only Because of they way we were brought up do try to do what is right. So if you believe that there is no heaven or hell, no afterlife, no judgement for what you did wrong in your life, what keeps you from living your life from pleasing you and only you, what keeps you from doing what its wrong, cause as you said there is nothing after death, no consequence's, so why would it matter what you did? I'm not trying to be a :smart: here but just trying to understand. If you reply to this saying "well i was raised to do what is right, good morals and all that" well were did that come from...the Bible.