Need some help/info fast. thanks :) 91 MJ

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK cool...yeah I do but of coarse its 2wd. My buddy keeps telling me I won't find a tranny for less than 600 bucks...when he gave that for his completely rebuilt :nuts: Jeeps are much more expensive than toys for sure.

I don't know about them being more expensive than Toys, but my current Jeep addiction is definitely cheaper than my VW addiction. I guess it doesnt hurt me either being a Jeep dealer tech running into cheap or free parts quite often. Jeeps are definitely cheaper than a lot of things we could be into, and it also depends on what you want to do with em, and if you don't mind playing with used parts.

got a pullapart.com near you?

car-part.com shows a few under 300 in NC.

like 4 miles up the street! I went up there today actually, but it was all junk. Few aw4's laying out on the ground w/ water in them and some seriously scavenged axles. I may check out carpart.com though, thanks!

Picked up my new MJ today!!!! This thing is some hotrod! haha. I would NOT be scared of a stock mustang... Pics tomorrow. I will start a new thread for it then..thanks again for all the great info guys. Ended up getting a complete 96 XJ w/ AX-15/231 non-disco dana 30 and 8.25 rear, 160k on the clock for $250 minus the engine. I think if I just swapped to a 3.73 rear this thing would be scary quick.

Well at least the XJ will get you 4wd.

Also, I would get the 8.25 in right away if you can. Then when you do your re-gear down the road, if you pay for a re-gear instead of new axles, you can upgrade to the 29 spline shafts.(Carrier is different between your 27 spline, and you missed the cutoff by one year)

If you're going as high as 4.5, you should start researching the advantages to going SOA, especially if you're changing the axle anyway.

I wouldn't lift it until you re-gear. Any size tire sucks on 3.07 gears, even moreso if it's over stock sizes.

Someone must've swapped in the 3.55s on the XJ at some point, or converted from an auto to a 5 speed.

No, the 27 spline shafts aren't smaller than a D35. The 27 8.25 is still an upgrade from a 35, and you'll be able to upgrade to the 29 spline stuff if you do a re-gear, as you'll need to change carriers.

Oh opps...foot in mouth. I should have thought about that. man that sucks. will I have to change the front carrier too? are the bearings the same size on the rear or will they need to be changed too to accept the 29spl shafts? what about brakes in the rear different drums and all on the 29ers?

Your front will be fine, you'll just have to pay for a re-gear unless you happen to find a 3.73 D30 to swap in(good luck)

You'd only need to change the carrier in the back because the 29 spline spider gears are bigger than the 27s and won't fit in the 27 spline carrier. You still have to do a gear setup even if you're just changing carriers and keeping your gears, so you might as well do them all at once.

Unless, of course, you find a 3.73 29 spline 8.25 or D44.

As for bearing size, if you mean the wheel bearings, I believe they are the same.

Brakes will be the same between 27 and 29 splines.

All that's different are the shafts, spiders, and carrier.