ford 9 inch

It depends on what slightly wider is? whats the WMS. If it is a big bearing 9" with 31 splines.. its good up to 37-38's with no mods, and with moly axles and some creative building... can hold up to what ever you need. Gears are easier to setup also

Umm, PROBABLY will need to be cut down. Most of them are in the 64-67" range. There's a few 59-60" out there (EB's).

Slightly issue with cutting them down, if you're to get new splines cut on the same shaft, you've got to go quite a bit narrower on one side and offset the pinon. That's because the shafts are necked down after the splining (stree relief) and aren't wide enough for about 5" or so.

Free does not necessarily mean it's right for your truck. What would you do to match the wheel bolt pattern? I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for complete 9" so free isn't all that great a deal if it needs seals and bearings and gears.

But if you're prepared to do everything that's required to run it, I have a 9" under the back of my 88 and with 8" rims with 4" backspacing, the tires don't stick out much at all. Now the matching full-width Ford front end, now that's a different story. :roll:

hey pete what exactly did u have to do in order to get it under ur mj. I'm just wondering if this is a practical thing to do or wait for the 8.8. All the seals and bearings are good but i would probably replace them anyway when i gear down. also can i run it with the d30 in the front or is their any reason this wouldnt work. i would have to run different rims in the front then in back in order to match the bolt pattern and width difference but is that a bad thing to do?

You're going to have a lot of money into this for very little gain. The rear axle is the easy part of any axle swap equation - and should not be a deciding factor. In this case, you will have to either narrow it, or run a fullwidth front.

In order to narrow it you're looking at a fairly high cost, as you'll have to get the housing cut down, the bearing retainers welded back on, and the axle shaft cut down and resplined. The only place I know that does this as a package is Currie (IIRC) and it's not cheap. Now, you've got to factor in that the gearing is probably not right, so you're either going to have to buy new gears and have them set up, or find another third member with lower gears. Neither is really cheap (although, I could get a 4.10 9" third for about $100 - they are rare though; as opposed to new gears for $250 and install fee). Also, the bolt patterns still won't match, but you can get adapters to fix this.

Now, that's assuming that you're going to narrow it and use the stock HPD30 front. I'll also point out that you've now got a world class rear end, and a darn crappy front end. If you intend to go with larger than 35" tires, you're kinda at a road block. That is, you are now FORCED to build a narrow-width front, or ditch the 9" you've put so much money into. And building a narrow front axle that is stronger than the D30 isn't a huge amount of fun...

And if you're to leave it full width and swap in a full width front, things are also complicated. Firstly, you'll need to find a decent ford D44 or better. That can be tough in itself. Then you've got to regear it, weld on the brakets, and etc... It can go down hill in a hurry.

It can go down hill in a hurry.

I agree, I have a 9" rear in my MJ, and a dana 44 front out of a waggy (I converted the front to match the rear wheel bolt pattern). I was chasing parts all the time and am still not done. :hateputers:

Don't forget that it's the Explorer/Mountineer 8.8 from 95-01 that you're looking for (pre-95 are also acceptible, just they have drum brakes). Almost all other 8.8s are too wide, too narrow, too expensive, or just plain inferior.