Where to get Fender Flares?

The factory flares all have three metal stud plates behind them to hold them in place. Last I knew, the stud plates were still available through dealer parts channels, but the MJ rear flares were not. Fronts, of course, are the same as XJ and can be bought from any of the discount auto body parts sources, such as Keystone.

The factory flares all have three metal stud plates behind them to hold them in place. Last I knew, the stud plates were still available through dealer parts channels, but the MJ rear flares were not. Fronts, of course, are the same as XJ and can be bought from any of the discount auto body parts sources, such as Keystone.

I have all the factory rear flare mounting plates; sucked them up years ago. They might still be available, but doubtful. If you need the p/n's let me know and you can have your friendly local dealership do a scan. And no, IB keepin' mine. :cheers:

Aha. So the MJ plates are different from XJ plates? I couldn't remember.

There are ways to refurbish old plates wityh broken studs. Please, do not EVER throw away any that you come across. If you find 'em in a u-pull yard, grab them. With flares, if possible, but if the flares are gone or useless, get the plates anyway.

And no, the rear flares on the MJ are not the same as the rear flares on a 2-door XJ. I know someone will post that (again). It is not true. I have posted the photos to prove it.

And no, the rear flares on the MJ are not the same as the rear flares on a 2-door XJ. I know someone will post that (again). It is not true. I have posted the photos to prove it.

Can you re-post those pics for us that are new to MJs??? I never knew that the 2door XJ and the MJ were different.

There are ways to refurbish old plates wityh broken studs. Please, do not EVER throw away any that you come across. If you find 'em in a u-pull yard, grab them. With flares, if possible, but if the flares are gone or useless, get the plates anyway.

Eagle, Whats the best way to redo the studs on the plates? I am replacing my red flares with black ones and, of course, they all snapped. I was just gonna grind off the remaining stud piece and then drill a 1/4" hole thru the back for a screw. But it seems that all the backs (stud heads) where they are welded to the plate are not the same (some smaller, some larger, some round, some flat)

Don, Lets see those part #s

Eagle, Whats the best way to redo the studs on the plates? I am replacing my red flares with black ones and, of course, they all snapped. I was just gonna grind off the remaining stud piece and then drill a 1/4" hole thru the back for a screw. But it seems that all the backs (stud heads) where they are welded to the plate are not the same (some smaller, some larger, some round, some flat)

That's exactly what I do, except that I don't use 1/4" screws. I think that's too big. The originals, IIRC, are 5mm. I used something just a little larger, like 6mm. But the heads on all the factory studs I have encountered were flat and uniform in size, so it was fairly easy to get my holes on-center. I drilled undersized, tapped, inserted the new screws, then just touched the heads with a wire welder to hold them. I use copious amounts of anti-seize when re-installing, hoping to avoid snapping off the repaired studs.

If I can toss in an alternate for the mm screws........

We've used 10-32 x 3/4" machine screws (Pan head Phillips) punched/knocked out the old screws, inserted the new screws into the existing holes in the steel plates, touched a mig welder to the head of the screw, and used Flanged nuts to fasten it together. If you don't have a mig welder, you can use a nut to secure the bolt to the metal bracket, but up size to 1" long screws.

2X's on the anti-seize :D Unless you upgrade to SS screws.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... 061&ucst=t

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... 335&ucst=t

You need 9 bolts and nuts per flair, in packages of 100 each, you'll have enough to repair about 10 flairs, and cost about $10.

• 3 weeks later...