Bummed out - not any more

Budhound

First off id like to praise anyone who has a job right now :bowdown: . you guys are lucky.

I chose to move about 3 months ago and its been a damn battle ever since. I live in west kissimme now, its SW of Orlando and it seems like most of the places around here only hire you if they can get a damn tax break. Personally, I think its bull. This isnt a whoa is me story, i just want to know if anone else is in this situation, you know someone other then my pissed off girlfriend that i can talk to.

Basically, these buisnesses get a tax break if they hire someone that is on welfare or has recieved some form of gov. aid. I don't know about you but in this economy with double digit unemployment I think that program is crap. When the economy is doing well then i can see how it works but right now everyone and their momma is recieveing some form of aid. Where as someone like me who isnt using the system to get by and has child support to pay every month gets hammered every day and can't even get a job at mcdonalds flippin burgers. I dunno just needed a place to vent.

You aren't alone. Here in Oregon we have a 12% unemployment rate and I'm one of them. I've been unemployed for over a year now, lost my job back in June of last year. I've lost track of the number of jobs I've applied for and so far have had 4 interviews in the last 13 months. Four months prior to losing my job, we lost our house after being financially destroyed by a business my wife and I had invested into. My credit, savings, and entire inheritance was completely destroyed. I have three young kids and I thank God my wife has a steady job.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel, I just finished my paperwork for re-enlistment back into the military. Not really thrilled about it since I have a problem how our government operates but at this point I'm desperate for work. Military might be an option for you, steady pay and good benefits. Assuming you haven't served already :D Probably the best decision I ever made was to enlist. Not for everyone though.

Hang in there buddy. :cheers:

I would enlist and ive tried in the past but they kept saying i needed to lose weight. Ive lost over 40 lbs but i can't seem to get any lower then that. I could join the border patrol i have all of my testing and what not done but I have to pass the physical test. Aside from that my girlfriend would have a $#!& fit if i enlisted or if i joined the BP. Plus ive been looking into going back to school to get a degree. Since housing, meal plan, books, insurance and tuition can be covered by loans i figured that it would be a good idea. I'm hanging in there man, and you do the same hopefully everything works out for you.

Not quite the same as you but similar. I graduated in May with a Master of Landscape Architecture degree. Still no job hits. In this field employers do not want to risk hiring a newbie, any openings call for 5-10 years of experience. I have even tried civil engineering firms and local landscape contractors. Nothing available. I am now trying my luck at Garmin, (yes the GPS company) cartography or graphic design.

If I tried to enlist I would get told to leave. Medical condition called diabetes will keep you out. Also why I desperately need a job, medical insurance.

dang that sucks man I'm sure you find something. espically with a masters. Its jsut a shame, and now espically the script gets flipped in my area. It seems that if your a white male that isnt recieving gov aid and isnt bilingual then your bottom of the barrel. Since the area where I'm at has alot of tourism its like oh you don't speak french, or aribic, or spanish? then what good are ya. I'm sorry but if I go to any other country is it expected that they speak english to cater to me? and thats another thing to warrior, alot of places are like do you have a specific kind of licensing? no i don't but id need a job to get the money to get the licensing now wouldnt I? My girl told me last night i should check an employment agency, so i did and only a few had one or two openings and they were for expierenced/licensed people.

Someone upstairs must have been watching. I snagged-a-job.com with Midas and its full time. Only paying 7.50/hr but I'm not complainin. Start tomorrow its 45 minutes away from where I live and I have to be there at 7:15AM but its a job. Thanks for listen people. Hopefully, everyone else will find a great opportunity soon.

Budhound, props to you. You show a can-do attitude that, sad to say, is lacking around this country as of late.

My wife and I moved here to VA about 10 years ago, her with a company transfer, and me jobless. Second day here I called a temp service, went and interviewed/tested (scored well) but they didn't have any jobs available and I said thanks and went on my way. Two days later they called me back and said they had a job, pretty crappy in an even crappier part of town, and it only paid minimum wage.....I took it becuase it was WORK. Ten years later, we're doing pretty good, I'm vested with the place that took me on as a temp and saving buttloads of cash for retirement (still 20 years off, but I'll only be 60 then).

Life is what you make of it, with what you are handed.

Jeff

One thing to look forward to, is that there is a fairly large turnover of employees at those places. You may find yourself moving up rapidly, especially since it seems that you actually WANT to work, unlike most. Hell, you may find yourself being offered a management position in a few months, either there or at another store.

Congrats on finding a job...

I'm not sure how well its going to work for you making minimum wage like that, driving 45 minutes one way and trying to build a decent tool kit. But good luck to you. At least you have the drive and desire to work.

First off thank you everyone on the congrats. Its a 45 minute drive one way and right now I'm driving a 1990 toyota camry with over 208k on the clock and i got it for 800 bucks. I can make it there and back if i drive normally on an 1/8th of a tank. I have to be there at 7:15 in the morning so I get up and try to leave the house by 6 / 6:15am to get there on time. I get paid 7.50/hr - 9.5 hours a day - 5 days a week and 6% of my labor cost? meaning the $#!& I do I get 6% on top of the 7.50? I'm not going to lie though in the florida heat and the humidity my 285lb @$$ is moving full throttle all day long and i can barely walk after work. It will be worth it though. I'm a lube technician there but today they asked me to do a CV axle and lower ball joint on a VW jetta turbo and fix some guys horn on a honda. Some how i managed to pull it off. I had only been there three days as of yesterday and they had me as the only lube tech and we got slammed but I managed to hold down the fort and impress the higher ups. don't get me wrong I'm not trying to rub it in alot of people do get bummed out but like i told my girlfriend its just a matter of time. Something will fall into your lap, it may not be a golden nugget but hey you can work with it.

Yeah whowey, Not having your own tools makes it a pain in the @$$. Back when i was working at my last job and was driving a Comanche 2.5L I managed to replace my powersteeing pump with basic hand tools, and i don't mean the whole pump/resivoir combo. I had to separate the old pump from the resivoir and then some how press the new pump into the housing, and that is without a press, or a mallet, or a workbenck, or a vise, yeah thats right i did it on my truck bed and the truck was parked on a 15 degree driveway. It was raining to and you can ask my girlfriend she stood out in the rain with an umbrella and a flashlight so i could work at night. Had to do that on a weekend, and missed a day of work because of the whole ordeal. On some of the HD stuff though the guys at the new shop are cool with me using some of their tools as long as i don't break them. The service writers are even trying to help me find equipment on the cheap from used to new stuff. Its cool Ill keep you guys updated on it and good luck to everyone.

I'm glad its working out. In this economy, that's a win...

I worked for a Mienke Muffler when I was in college. They were VERY strict about the 'own tools' rule. If you didn't own the tools to complete the job, someone else did it. They barely had any shop tools at all. The techs owned their own. It was beyond hard to try and accumulate any tools when you are working for $4.50 an hour.

UPDATE: I finished my first two weeks. there are alot of things they didnt tell me when i signed on but it doesnt really matter. Most of the stuff is like there is no overtime just straight pay + commission, and that even though I'm hourly they won't pay me past 6PM if I'm working on a customer's car that came in before 6pm. What the heck do I care though its a job, and ive already talked to the shop manager about a couple of the issues and he is in complete aggreance with me and apparently its something he was trying to get into effect jsut before I signed on. Other then that ive already learned how to mount/unmount and plug a tire and do a 4-wheel alignment :clapping: . I didnt know how to do that before, since ive never worked in a tire shop. Oh well this is prolly the last post in this thread so once again thanks everyone for the support and good luck to everyone.

Buddy