new mj questions!!

ok so i picked up my second mj today. its a 1989 comanche pioneer white 2wd shortbed straight six and i paid $325 for it. its also an automatic but something is wrong with it and i have to shift it manualy on the column shift. now my questions. it has a loose serpentine belt so it squeals really loud. i was told all i had to do was tighten it, and I'm not going to lie, i have no idea how to do it. the speedometer also doesnt work at all. can anyone help me fix atleast the squealing?

alright, tightening your serpentine belt...

first you need to find your powersteering pump, then locate the three bolts holding it tight in its position.

there will be one on the back you can get with a wrench, another one on the front, and a third that is actually locking down the adjuster bolt for the pump. after you have LOOSENED...(don't remove them, only loosen a couple turns) you can turn the 13mm bolt that goes in from the aircleaner towards the passenger side, its the LONG one being locked down, turn it left to loosen, right to tighten.

tighten the belt until it is difficult to twist it 90* at the longest part

then tighen all your bolts back up and check it.

i think it would help if someone had pictures they could circle the bolts i'm talking about, i don't think i've got any.

as far as your transmission having to be shifted manually, it sounds like the TCU (transmission control unit) is either unplugged, not receiving power, or is not receiving signal to shift gears. check all the plugs at the transmission, and check fuses too.

actually i think i have a decent idea of what your talking about. i just installed a new powersteering pump on my 95 zj, and i kno its not the same, but it atleast gives me an idea.

well get after it! if you can't figure out which ones to loosen it won't hurt if you undo all of them in that area just a little bit, but make sure you get everything back tight,

also wouldn't hurt to use some pb blaster or wd40 on the adjuster especially

its alittle bit after 12:30 am here and my garage light has burnt out (go figure!) so i am going to have to wait untill i can take it down to my shop in the morning. any help with the speedometer? or possibly the transmission? i don't mind shifting an automatic manualy, but i don't want to cause any more damage, if that possible.

its alittle bit after 12:30 am here and my garage light has burnt out (go figure!) so i am going to have to wait untill i can take it down to my shop in the morning. any help with the speedometer? or possibly the transmission? i don't mind shifting an automatic manualy, but i don't want to cause any more damage, if that possible.

i would check underneath to make sure the cable is hooked up to the transfer case (you did say 4x4 right?) and also make sure the connectors on the transmission are plugged in...

your transmission problem sounds more electrical than mechanical since the shifting is controlled by a TCU, check that it is plugged in ( i can't remember where it is on your truck since mine is stick) but check fuses too to see if one is blown possibly not sending power to the trans.controller.

its not a 4x4 (yet :thumbsup: ) but i will go over all the connections. i am guessing that its not mechanical then? as for the tranny, ill check the connections and sensors, but one final question for all you automatic guys... i have a switch that says power/comfort what is that for and could that keep the tranny from shifting correctly?

Your speedometer is mechanical, it's cable-driven. It may have broke or gotten disconnected at some point. It'll run to the back tailshaft of the transmission. Your transmission is electrical, and it's controlled by a computer. The plugs on the trans are for the TCU.

As for the power comfort switch, we just had a good thread about that a little farther down the tech page viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18195 Hope it helps. :thumbsup:

ok well that answered a few other questions i had. now i know for sure i have the aw4 tranny, but I'm guessing i have a renix 4.0 cause i don't have the "4.0 litre high output" badge on the tailgate? so its better to leave it in comfort mode.

All the power setting does is change the preset shift points and make your shifts more sharp (and uncomfortable).

As to the electrical connections for the AW4. My MJ has a stick but my XJ has the AW4 and the TCU is in the passenger kick panel. It may be in the same place on an MJ too. If all the connections are good then see if the two plugs on the TPS are both plugged in. One goes to the TCU and helps it with signals from the TPS, while the other goes to the ECU to manage the fuel system.

Renix is any 4.0L from 87-90 so if you have a Jeep XJ or MJ within those years with the 4.0L then you have a Renix Jeep. Not too sure if that carried over to the YJ as well or not.

ok well that answered a few other questions i had. now i know for sure i have the aw4 tranny, but I'm guessing i have a renix 4.0 cause i don't have the "4.0 litre high output" badge on the tailgate? so its better to leave it in comfort mode.

No, it's better to leave it in "Power" mode.

On the belt squeal, check the harmonic damper on the front of the crankshaft. If the outer weight ring starts to "walk" it affects belt alignment and can result in squealing. And if not addressed, it can chew up the front timing chain cover, making a routine replacement into a considerably more expensive repair job.

IIRC, there are three bolts higher up on the pump bracket accessed from the front (radiator side) of the assembly, and three more lower down that are accessed from beneath and behind (firewall side). The actual adjuster point toward the air box. As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY way to adjust it is to remove the air box for access. It is possible to do it with the air box in place, but it takes twice as long and you'll get four times as dirty.

ok so i wentand tightened the serpentine belt and it still squealed. i got new bearings in the idler pully and it still squeals. as a last resort before i started ripping to get to my water pump i went ot autozone and the guy pointed out that the fan pully was misaligned. so now my new question is how to i align the fan pully? sorry for all the questions, this is all very new to me as i am only 17.

Before you start changing all your pulleys, and water pump.........Did you install a new serpentine belt????

An old, worn out, "aged", stretched serpentine belt can make all kinds of noise just on it's own.

If your serpentine belt is truly out of alignment, the only 2 causes of that are the power steering pump pulley being out of align, the pulley should be flush with the end of the shaft.

Or the harmonic balancer is coming apart. Take a very good look at the harmonic balancer, and see if the 'inner' section is aligned with the 'outer' section, and that NO rubber is sticking out of the connection, either in the front or the rear of the balancer.

the belt seems to me to be fine. no serious stretching or dry rot o be found on it. when the guy at autozone pointed out that the fan fully was out of alignment, you can clearly see it. it is about 1/4 inch away from the front end of the pully. i will take pictures of it tomorrow to show you what i mean since its dark here.