lift

Are your control arms adjustable?

Beside them, you will need springs (obviously), shocks, brake hoses, track bar, sway bar end links (quick discos).

For the rear (SOA?) you will need shocks and brake hose.

no the arms are not adjustable we just took the stock ones and extended them for now until i get money for longer ones, and what is that soa thing

Wow thats a bad idea...i have seen factory arms that have been "extended" fail from just on road driving...i would get rid of those asap..

the SOA thing is Spring Over Axle---if you go look at you jeep now the leaf springs run underneath the rear axle....easiest explanation is you take the springs weld new perches on top of the axle and now the springs mount on top of the axle

no the arms are not adjustable we just took the stock ones and extended them for now until i get money for longer ones, and what is that soa thing

Wow thats a bad idea...i have seen factory arms that have been "extended" fail from just on road driving...i would get rid of those asap..

the SOA thing is Spring Over Axle---if you go look at you jeep now the leaf springs run underneath the rear axle....easiest explanation is you take the springs weld new perches on top of the axle and now the springs mount on top of the axle

i don't have the money to get rid of the factory arms and i already did the soa swap

i don't have the money to get rid of the factory arms and i already did the soa swap

Let us see some pictures of the extended arms you built. And I am sorry to say, not having money to do it right is no way a liscense to do it unsafely. If you don't have the money to build it safely, don't. Otherwise you could be getting a visit from the fellas I have pictured in my sig. And THAT, won't be cheap.

Rob L.

What I'm saying is, if the cause of any accident is linked back to your mods, you're screwed.

yea well its just until we get adjustable ones and it will only be on the road not beaten on so they might last long enough

What I'm saying is, if the cause of any accident is linked back to your mods, you're screwed.

yea well its just until we get adjustable ones and it will only be on the road not beaten on so they might last long enough

And if they don't?

Sorry to be a dork, but it's one thing if the only possible thing that can happen is you kill yourself. That's your decision. But driving a hacked-together vehicle that has steering/suspension parts that could fail at any time could easily result in your taking out another vehicle ... or several vehicles. How many people are you prepared to possibly kill because you can't afford a set of control arms?

The advice given above is good advice: If you can't afford to lift it right ... don't lift it. The MJ is a very capable off-road vehicle in stock configuration. There is simply no excuse for engaging in "redneck engineering" because you "can't afford" to do it right.

:agree:

As much as I like scraping dead people off the road, its the innocent ones that get to me. If someone's hack job killed someone else, I really wouldn't be happy.

If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. Nuff said.

Rob L.

Dom TUBE? Pipe is for plumbing, tube is structural. Can you post some pics of those arms you built? Might help to see what kind of fabricator you are before we go telling you to build arms.

Rob L.

well are camera is broken so i will have to tell you that the upper one is the only one we have done and we were told that its and 8th of a inch long so we just welded a washer to it( the end without a bushing) and drilled out the hole for the bolt and i think were going to cut up a extra lower control arm and add it in.

Fixed.

lower

But I wouldn't go just welding in a section of arm to add length. There are many things you have to do to get it right. Plating, gusseting, and so forth. By the time you put in the work to get it "right" with the modified stock arms, you would have been better off just buying some aftermarket arms.

Rob L.

could i make my own adjustable arms out of dui piping or what ever that really strong piping is called

That would probably be better than lengthening the stock sheetmetal arms, but it still wouldn't be legal on the street.

could i make my own adjustable arms out of dui piping or what ever that really strong piping is called

That would probably be better than lengthening the stock sheetmetal arms, but it still wouldn't be legal on the street.

we lengthen the stock ones and don't see how it would break

If you don't know the difference between piping and tubing and are asking what "really strong piping" is called, then I personally also doubt your engineering and fabrication skills.

The people above do give some really good advice: save up for a bit, and buy quality after market adjustable lower control arms.

If you don't know the difference between piping and tubing and are asking what "really strong piping" is called, then I personally also doubt your engineering and fabrication skills.

The people above do give some really good advice: save up for a bit, and buy quality after market adjustable lower control arms.

i will admit that my fabrication skills are pretty bad but i only trust my dad and my brothers cause they been doing it for so long and it was my dads idea to extend the stock arms.

i ran extended stock uppers for the better part of two years and never ran into any problems. it got wheeled a fair amount of times too.

see now if his lasted for 2 years then why can't my last for aleast a half a year