let's have it, leaf spring from MJ on an XJ?

ok thinking of stock MJ springs, non metric ton, on my XJ with shackle relocation brackets and strech the XJ a inch or 2 via the leaf pack length. let me hear you thoughts and experiences on this. I'm not a newbie, so don't talk to me about the little stupid crap, just brainstorming some ideas here. Such as wheelbase, lift and flex, what's some advantages in trying to do this? Add leafs with MJ shackles, or leave out to keep lift done or will that take away some flex? Let's hear what you got?

Trying Cherokee shackles on my stock MJ spring pack with SOA I found out XJ shackles are too short for the change in spring length between fully drooped (arched down) and fully loaded (flattened out).

Compression is limited by the shackle pointing straight back. Under full droop the shackle flips forwards so much it will want to flip up in the forward direction when weight gets back on the wheels.

The minimum required length would be somewhere between XJ shackled and MJ ones.

... just brainstorming some ideas here. Such as wheelbase, lift and flex, what's some advantages in trying to do this?

What makes you think there are advantages?

I can't even figure out how you could make this work. The MJ springs are 5 inches longer. You can't make that all up with shackles, and there isn't enough body/chassis behind the XJ shackle mounts to relocate them anywhere near 5 inches farther back.

... just brainstorming some ideas here. Such as wheelbase, lift and flex, what's some advantages in trying to do this?

What makes you think there are advantages?

I can't even figure out how you could make this work. The MJ springs are 5 inches longer. You can't make that all up with shackles, and there isn't enough body/chassis behind the XJ shackle mounts to relocate them anywhere near 5 inches farther back.

I been looking at these and just pondering the idea

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... n+brackets

Then thinking of the idea that if you put 4.5" lift springs from a MJ onto an XJ you will get something like 11". So just wondering as I would like to stretch the jeep a few more inches. Only going for around 5-6" lift

If you can safely stretch the frame (or whatever it would take), than stock MJ leafs should give a pretty decent lift on an XJ. I'd guess in the neighborhood of 4-5", but that's just a guess. Could be as high as 6 if the leafs are 4x4 versions and in good shape.

not worried about the lift as much as I would just buy a new set of leafs for given lift. Thinking more so of adding a couple inches to wheel base and add more flexibility, as I want to stay shorter this time around and keep the flex with the 36's.

Then it looks like you'll need to buy or build a means to mount the shackle. I'm not all that familiar with the rearend of an XJ, is the bumper close enough to integrate the rear shackle into a super-strong (and firmly attached) bumper?