Instrument cluster

A few months back I purchased an instrument cluster for my 1990 Comanche Automatic. I wanted to replace the instrument cluster I had with idiot gages with one that had regular gages. Turns out the one I got was for a stick shift not an automatic.

So do they make an instrument cluster for a 1990 automatic with regular gages? And if so, does anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14904

I think what you mean, is you got one without the shift indicator in the cluster. Not all automatics had that. No XJ has a column shift, and I believe 91 and 92 MJs had floor shifters, if not more years than that. That thread will tell you everything you need to know to get the shift indicator into a regular cluster.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14904

I think what you mean, is you got one without the shift indicator in the cluster. Not all automatics had that. No XJ has a column shift, and I believe 91 and 92 MJs had floor shifters, if not more years than that. That thread will tell you everything you need to know to get the shift indicator into a regular cluster.

Correy, some base model, and police package XJ's actually had column shifts. Column shifts can be found on all years of comanche's, but if you want to change to console shift, that also is an easy swap to accomplish.

Rob L.

Yes, my current 1990 4.0 Comanche Pioneer Long Bed model has column shift and the instrument cluster I purchased does not have the column shift indicator. My understanding is that in 1991 they went to a floor shifter for the automatic and they also changed some other aspect to the instrument cluster so that a 91 or 92 instrument cluster would not be compatible. Can anyone verify that they made a column shift cluster with regular gages instead of idiot lights? And of course if anyone happens to know of one for sale?????

Thanks folks

Yep, they are around. The police package XJ needed the column shift to leave room open between the seats for radios, equipment and whatnot. You can find them with buckets, and a bare trans hump...I thought I had a picture of a column shift XJ(couldn't find it), but you know about my fetish for police and fire jeeps, so I found this:

XJPoliceBrochure.JPG

Rob L. :brows:

So do they make an instrument cluster for a 1990 automatic with regular gages? And if so, does anybody know where I can get one? Thanks

If you mean was a full 6-gauge cluster ever manufactured that has the built-in shift indicator, the answer is no for any year. The column shift XJ's were retained uo to 96 on the police packages, and some 91-92 MJ also had column shift indicators; I have one. But none w. the cluster shift indicator were full gauge clusters. There are several work-around mods to retain the OEM shift indicator or add an aftermarket indicator that the guys have posted links for.

the problem is they changed the polarity on the cluster in 91, if you put a 91+ cluster in a 90- jeep your gas gauge is going to read backwards and other fun issues.

you don't HAVE to have the shift indicator if you trust yourself to get it in the right gear, the truck will work fine without it but it's good to have it.

The tach will work without any mods. You just need too swap the temp and oil sender for the ones for the gauges. You are gonna have to either mod the cluter you have to add the gear selector or buy the kind that you mount on the column.

Yep, they are around. The police package XJ needed the column shift to leave room open between the seats for radios, equipment and whatnot. You can find them with buckets, and a bare trans hump...I thought I had a picture of a column shift XJ(couldn't find it), but you know about my fetish for police and fire jeeps, so I found this:

XJPoliceBrochure.JPG

Rob L. :brows:

:hijack: sry but i gota ask, did the police jeeps have anything speical done to them? like a meaner engine, better tranny?

So do they make an instrument cluster for a 1990 automatic with regular gages? And if so, does anybody know where I can get one? Thanks

If you mean was a full 6-gauge cluster ever manufactured that has the built-in shift indicator, the answer is no for any year. The column shift XJ's were retained uo to 96 on the police packages, and some 91-92 MJ also had column shift indicators; I have one. But none w. the cluster shift indicator were full gauge clusters. There are several work-around mods to retain the OEM shift indicator or add an aftermarket indicator that the guys have posted links for.

There's an MJ in Nashville Pull a Part that has a column shift and I would swear it had the 6 gauge cluster. Anyone in the Nashville area can check it out.

:hijack: sry but i gota ask, did the police jeeps have anything speical done to them? like a meaner engine, better tranny?

They had heavy-duty suspension and they had a fast idle switch or solenoid so the battery would keep charging even if left standing for long periods with the lights on and radios, flashers, etc all running. They also had rubber floor mats rather than carpets.

The local VA hospital when I go for medical issues used to run them. They were recently retired and replaced by Exploders.

They had heavy-duty suspension and they had a fast idle switch or solenoid so the battery would keep charging even if left standing for long periods with the lights on and radios, flashers, etc all running. They also had rubber floor mats rather than carpets.

The local VA hospital where I go for medical issues used to run them. They were recently retired and replaced by Exploders.