Gauges

I'm assuming you're referring to a full cluster.

They're not XJ or MJ designate. There's essentially three clusters:

Full, all gauges.

Full, minus tach(big gas gauge)

Idiot lights

Which cluster you have depends on the trim level of the truck. IE some MJs came from the factory with full clusters, some XJs had idiot lights.

They're directly interchangeable withing their year range. If you upgrade to a full cluster, you'll need to change the oil pressure sender and temp gauge sender to the gauge units.

I'm assuming you're referring to a full cluster.

They're not XJ or MJ designate. There's essentially three clusters:

Full, all gauges.

Full, minus tach(big gas gauge)

Idiot lights

Which cluster you have depends on the trim level of the truck. IE some MJs came from the factory with full clusters, some XJs had idiot lights.

They're directly interchangeable withing their year range. If you upgrade to a full cluster, you'll need to change the oil pressure sender and temp gauge sender to the gauge units.

:agree:

for 86-90 MJs you need a cluster from a 90 and earlier XJ/MJ for 91/92 you need 91+ guages.

easy way to make sure is early ones have a speedo cable and later ones don't so if yours has a cable make sure you get one that takes a cable,if it has a plug make sure you get one with the plug.

i was wondering how hard it is to swap gauges for the better looking XJ gauges

I wonder about these "wondering" questions. They are getting much too numerous. No year or model given, no what gauges you have now, no goal except "better looking XJ gauges". Yet some kind members on this forum still respond. A good example of the caliber of most of the super members on this forum, and a good example of others who throw up questions w/o a clue of what they are asking, don't know how to detail what they are asking, or don't even bother or are too lazy to search the forum so they can ask an intelligent informed question based on the knowledge base readily available by doing a simple search. I don't get it. What is it - instant gratification required w/o any effort from me? Sorry - rant over. :hmm:

Well sorry that i'm new and don't have too much experience with certain things, all i get told is ask questions (smile face) ask questions, sorry i wasn't "specific" enough for your liking, i didn't know there were multiple gauge sets thats why i asked, so maybe before you jump to chewing people out you should think about how much they know. Sorry for getting mad, but all i'm trying to do is get my project done, and i'm gonna have alot of questions

i was wondering how hard it is to swap gauges for the better looking XJ gauges

I wonder about these "wondering" questions. They are getting much too numerous. No year or model given, no what gauges you have now, no goal except "better looking XJ gauges". Yet some kind members on this forum still respond. A good example of the caliber of most of the super members on this forum, and a good example of others who throw up questions w/o a clue of what they are asking, don't know how to detail what they are asking, or don't even bother or are too lazy to search the forum so they can ask an intelligent informed question based on the knowledge base readily available by doing a simple search. I don't get it. What is it - instant gratification required w/o any effort from me? Sorry - rant over. :hmm:

hey don, can you help me, i was wondering how to put bucket seats in my truck. :rotf:

don't worry about it 88pioneer, ask all the questions you want, thats kinda the idea.

Hey 88pioneer, I meant nothing personal. Really. I was out of line on my response to your post, bad day, but no excuses. Patience has never been one of my virtues. :roll: But I do really try to help here, and do a lot of research to give the best answers I possibly can. But at the same time it would be nice if guys with questions can provide more details, especially year/model/engine etc. about their rig, so we all can give better informed answers w/o assuming everything. That was my only point.

Yeah, 88pioneer. Ask whatever you need. Thats what we are here for... Just sometimes we have a few members who forget to take their blood pressure meds... :rotfl2:

To make it easier on us though, I assumed you have an '88 MJ based on the screen name, but please put your trucks details in your signature, like how I have mine listed in mine. Then you can ask all you want, and we always know what your working with.

Rob L. :thumbsup:

yea, i have a bit of a temper at times too. i wanted to put my vehicles in my signature, but i don't know how. And with the gauges, i wasn't aware that there were multiple sets, i thought all MJ's had idiot lights like mine, and all cherokees have the full gauges. Sorry for the snapping there, it pushed me the wrong way and i had just woke up too

Actually, between 1984 and 1990 there are six (6) possible instrument clusters you might have. From 84 thru 86 (and I think part-way into the 87 model year but I haven't confirmed that) the speedometer cable was retained on the speedo head by a metal clip, and the speedo itself had small ticks at 1 MPH intervals, larger ticks at 5 MPH intervals, and numbers at 15, 25, 35, etc.

From 87 thru 90 the speedo cable is retained by a nylon bayonet fitting. The speedo has small ticks at the 2-1/2 MPH marks, larger ticks at the 5 MPH marks, and large ticks plus numbers at 15, 25, 35, etc.

Within each of these groups, you could have a base cluster with a speedo, idiot lights, and a large gas gauge; a cluster with full instruments (not idiot lights) but a large fuel gauge and no tachometer; or a cluster with full gauges and tachometer.

You can swap the early style for the late style (and the reverse) if you also swap the speedo cable for the type with the matching retainer.

Then there's the issue of cylinder count. Both types could have a tachometer in either a 6-cylinder or 4-cylinder vehicle. The early type cannot be recalibrated from a 4 to a 6 or reverse except by changing a resistor on the printed circuit board. The later style has a potentiometer and can be recalibrated just by turning the adjuster.