Comanche X

Ok I found a 2wd long bed in a barn owners got it with the property the fender badge is (Comanche with a X under it ) I am kinda new to the Comanches but have never heard of this trim line before and thought it may be something rare. He uses it for a farm truck but said if it some one really wants it he may sell it.

The X trim package was only used for the 1986 year.

It was mid grade trim package -

Custom (low end trim)

X

Sport or XL

XLS (max end trim)

It should have chrome grill and chrome bumpers, at least my X has that :D

Also, you'll only find LWB MJ's in the '86 year.

The real problem will be the engine, if it a 2.5 (4 cylinder) your good, if it the 2.8 (6 cylinder) you got problems from the get go :(

I have a breakdown of packages in my old website, under "comanche spotter"

comanchemj.1hwy.com

Rob L.

Rob, Very nice writeup. I own my '87 that I bought new and I remember that period very well. Technology has come along way since 1987 so comparing comanche to trucks made today may be unfair. But many of us may not realize that when comanche came out, the competition (if you could call them that) was Chevy S10 and Ford Ranger. There was no comparison. Furthermore, when that 4.0 came out, that was a big deal. I just bought a new rubicon but my comanche is not for sale at any price.

don't forgot, to compare these to the new stuff, comanches are made of iron.

Regarding the rust problem, in the '80's the imports were much worse. Diving those in the weather was like taking a kleenex box through a car wash. You may not make it home.

And not to bragg tooooo much, but why did they get rid of the chief package anyway? Everyone knows that package was the best. :brows:

I have a breakdown of packages in my old website, under "comanche spotter"

comanchemj.1hwy.com

Rob L.

Rob, Very nice writeup.

Thanks, I haven't updated it in sooooo long. I should really finish my vin decoder. I have the renix era one done, but have yet to finish the rest... But I set the spotter up a few years ago to make it easier to identify packages. Still missing a pic of two in that. I also have the history of the MJ. Production numbers too.

Rob L.

Rob, Very nice site! :cheers: :cheers: Very helpful for new guys like me. I wish the Jeep Ad's were bigger so my old eyes could read the small print. :D Keep up the Excellent work!!!!!!

I do have a question for you about the 1992 production numbers. You stated in the History section that jeep sold 3181 units in 1992, but the production number is 952. Were the other 2229 units 1991 leftovers?

Thanks!

Rob, Very nice site! :cheers: :cheers: Very helpful for new guys like me. I wish the Jeep Ad's were bigger so my old eyes could read the small print. :D Keep up the Excellent work!!!!!!

I do have a question for you about the 1992 production numbers. You stated in the History section that jeep sold 3181 units in 1992, but the production number is 952. Were the other 2229 units 1991 leftovers?

Thanks!

The way production runs is this:

Example:

We are in 2009, but they already making 2010's by now. Automakers change lines in May. So '10's will be made until 5/2010. 2010's will be in showrooms in sept.

While only producing 952 (in '92 from 1/1992 to 5/1992) they had made more than that the previous calendar year. So the 3,181, is most likely the total sales. You can see in the production numbers, there were a large number made in 1985. So that was from 5/1985 to 12/1986.

Make sense? I kinda lost myself there.

Rob L.

I think it was n a discussion here a while ago. :dunno: I've see that info more than once too. But the 952 number persists on some of the "info" pages so I don't know what to think. I personally don't have any hard data on it.

Thanks!

The way production runs is this:

Example:

We are in 2009, but they already making 2010's by now. Automakers change lines in May. So '10's will be made until 5/2010. 2010's will be in showrooms in sept.

While only producing 952 (in '92 from 1/1992 to 5/1992) they had made more than that the previous calendar year. So the 3,181, is most likely the total sales. You can see in the production numbers, there were a large number made in 1985. So that was from 5/1985 to 12/1986.

Make sense? I kinda lost myself there.

Rob L.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'm new to jeeps, been driving them other trucks for ever, so I'm learning all I can. Now if you need to know anything about the old swedish Husqvarna dirt bikes just ask!