cherokee axle question

I was wondering, do all the cherokee axles start with a ratio of 3:55? I have an opportunity to get a donor vehicle for a couple hundred bucks and was considering swapping auto tranny and axle gears for an upgrade. Currently running stock 87 with 4.0 and the Pugeot tranny with 3:07 ratio's.

And for Pete, I know it isnt an upgraded axle, but I don't have a welder handy to convert perchs and I have only found cherokees (lots of them) in the boneyards around these parts.

thanks

cherokee rear axle to comanche rear requires perches welded on as cherokees are SOA and comanches are SUA from factory. the spring width is also different so the perches on an xj axle are nowhere near close enough to bolt to a comanche

I knew about the perches and shock locations, but I have the tools, skills and time to pull the guts out for the swap if need be. just no welder/nor skill to redo the perches. closest friend with those skills is about 75 miles away.

Cherokee axle ratios follow the same pattern as Comanche axle ratios:

4.0L automatics = 3.55

4.0L 5-speed = 3.07

Early 2.5L 4-speed = 3.55

Early 2.5L 5-speed = 3.73 or 4.10

Early 2.5L automatic = God only knows

Late 2.5L 5-speed and automatic = 4.10

Do not assume anything. If there's no tag on the diff, pull the cover and read the numbers on the edge of the ring gear. It's the ONLY way to be sure what you're getting.

That's what I did. I had 3.07's, and I swapped in a 99' cherokee front axle with 3.55's and one piece shafts, and threw in the rear 3.55's to match. Cherokees are about like comanche's as gears go. Most 4.0 manuals came with 3.07 gears. most 4.0 autos had 3.55's, most 4 bangers had 4.10 gears. Hope this helped! FYI, I'm running 235/75r15 all terrain T/A's, (She's my daily driver), And with the taller gearing, she'll $#!& and git!

That's what I did. I had 3.07's, and I swapped in a 99' cherokee front axle with 3.55's and one piece shafts, and threw in the rear 3.55's to match. Cherokees are about like comanche's as gears go. Most 4.0 manuals came with 3.07 gears. most 4.0 autos had 3.55's, most 4 bangers had 4.10 gears. Hope this helped! FYI, I'm running 235/75r15 all terrain T/A's, (She's my daily driver), And with the taller gearing, she'll poo and git!

Going from 3.07 to 3.55 gears is not "taller." The lower (numerical) ratio is the "taller" gear. MORE gear is typically referred to as "deeper," not "taller."

if you don't have the access to a welder, then you will want to stick with a comanche rear axle.

frankly though, your best bet is a 97 or 98+ cherokee 8.25 rear end. get the proper perches for it, position them, and since you can't tac-weld them just braze the corners in then remove the axle and bring it to a local welder....they will weld it for less than $50.

an 8.25 is an upgrade from a dana 35. IIRC it's 97 or 98+ that uses 29 spline axle shafts, making it roughly as strong as a dana 44. they're also more likely to be 3.55 gears than not.

And for Pete, I know it isnt an upgraded axle, but I don't have a welder handy to convert perchs and I have only found cherokees (lots of them) in the boneyards around these parts.

thanks

Getting a better gear ratio is an upgrade. 3.55s will be a good improvement over the crap-tastic 3.07s. :thumbsup: Don't fear the welding though, it's easy welding and you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a local source to get it done. Look for local muffler shops if nothing else turns up.

That's what I did. I had 3.07's, and I swapped in a 99' cherokee front axle with 3.55's and one piece shafts, and threw in the rear 3.55's to match. Cherokees are about like comanche's as gears go. Most 4.0 manuals came with 3.07 gears. most 4.0 autos had 3.55's, most 4 bangers had 4.10 gears. Hope this helped! FYI, I'm running 235/75r15 all terrain T/A's, (She's my daily driver), And with the taller gearing, she'll poo and git!

Going from 3.07 to 3.55 gears is not "taller." The lower (numerical) ratio is the "taller" gear. MORE gear is typically referred to as "deeper," not "taller."

well call me an a$$hole! Lol! I've been saying that backwards for years! That's OK, you knew what I was sayin'!