Comanche Fires Up Then Dies

I went out to start my truck today and it will start but then it immediately dies. It doesn't idle at all. I was sorta stuck half way in the road so I trie popping the clutch to get it to move and it stayed running for a few seconds but the idle was around 2K and it kept climbing so I shut it off. Any ideas what this could be?

There's a porcelain piece on the inside of the driver's fender with two wires going to it. It's what supplies power to the fuel pump after start up.

ballast-resistor-5206436.jpg

You can jump the wires to test it, but it's a good idea to replace it if it's bad.

I jumped the ballast resistor. Didn't seem to have any effect at all. For as long as I've had it every once in a while the rpms would go up to 2 or 3K and just stay there at idle. Usually I'd shut it off and start it back up and it would be fine. That's the same thing it did this morning when I popped the clutch and floored it. It stayed running when I did that but it was idleing really high. But after I shut it off, it went back to just starting then dying.

I tested the TPS. It seems to check out. I followed the instructions on that site only it read about 4 or 4.5 volts instead of 5 but I have a cheap volt meter. I'm thinking its a fuel issue. I pulled a plug and it doesn't smell of gas at all really. Plus when I start it and hold the gas to the floor it revs up to about 2500 rpms instead of 1500. But it still dies right away. I already tried a jumper wire on the ballast resistor.

Could be a bad relay.

Try swapping around the relays on the passenger side of the engine. The fuel pump relay bypasses the ballast resistor in the start position and then switches over to put the resistor in the circuit once the engine is running. If you have jumped the resistor, then the relay is the only thing left in the circuit, other than the wiring.

I had this exact same problem once, and it was in the same circuit mentioned above.

It turned out one of the o2 sensor wires shorted on the exhaust and blew the fusible link near the battery. This happens to be the same circuit as the ballast resistor and fuel pump.

The fusible links are basically just smaller wires that melt before the main wire does. They are all attached to the solenoid under the plastic cover behind the battery. Usually a gentle tug will tell you if one is bad, if it's not obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

That's was it. I swapped those relays around and wah-lah! It fired right up. Thanks for the help. Mine is missing the cover does anyone know which relay is for the fuel pump? Cause now I have a bad one in another spot so i'd still like to replace it.