Discussions with dad...

SkipshotMJ

Hey guys. I'm having a discussion with my dad on whether or not a T-Case from pick n pul($60)l is a reliable part to buy? I think it would last for a while, but my dad thinks we should rebuild it($150) now so that it will last longer than the case from pnp. My dad thinks that more money spent now willl be better than going to pnp and buying a used Tcase. keep in mind that i am a college student and i have very little money to work with. thanks guys! (side with me! :bowdown: haha)

Problem with pnp parts is you really don't know the condition until you get it home. For all you know, some yuppie took that truck to the yard because the T-case broke.

If you can rebuild your case completely for $150, I'd say that's not that bad. Then you know everything's good and you don't have to worry about it breaking as much, especially if you're out on the trail.

Sorry, gotta side with your dad on this one. :oops:

rebuild it like the other guy said u don't know how much the owner of that truck ran the piss out of it, or if its even broken so u could be stuck with 2 broken ones and no money.

spend ur money wisely.

and also good luck. :agree:

OK, I will be the voice of counterpoint here. After seeing the pics of YOUR t-case, I think you will be in for more than $150 for the rebuild. That input bearing is super FUBARED and unless you had chunks of metal in the space between the t-case and seal housing when you split them, then those pieces went in to the t-case.

For $60 I would at least take a look at what the JY has to offer. Covered with years of sludge from constant leaking, then leave it. Bring something to pull the drain plug (and catch some fluid) and see the condition. If it is dark and burned, or showing shiney flecks, then leave it. Shift it in to each range and spin it by hand to see if it engages and is smooth. If it is already dry, pull the drain plug and look in with a flashlight. Look for debris. You can also check for an excessively loose chain as well. I think $60 for a t-case is a steal.

Dude, you will spend much less time to go pull a case for $60 than to rebuild another one.

Just go pull the nicest newest transfer case and throw it in.

Personally I think your just a likely to have a problem with a rebuild in a year than you are a used one from the junk yard right away.

If you get one from a JY then chances are if its bad you will know right away, you will take it back, and get another or get your money back.

Or you can spend the time and extra money to rebuild yours. Personally I would do what got my Jeep back on the road fastest, and thats grabbing a used case and installing it the same day. In less than 12 hours the Jeep can be back on the road.