intake clearance issues

I just installed a 1 inch trottle body spacer on my wifes 99' xj. I now have hood clearance issues between the top of throttle body and the afe intake I also have installed on it. Has anyone else ran into a problem like this. Any solutions out there?

Remove the TB spacer. They don't do anything anyway.

If done alone, I would tend to agree. If done in-conjunction with exhaust mods it will offer minimal gains.

The complete bolt on upgrade would include, better filtration, larger TB, spacer, header, hi flow cat, maybe a chip and good free flowing cat back system. THEN you will get a perf gain, but IMHO not big enough to justify the costs to get all that stuff...

CW

Thanks guys. I understand your point of view. I have notice an increase in performance above 3200 rpm the power band kicks in with more punch. I haven't calculated for better mileage yet but will in the future. I added the same spacer to my MJ and have noticed significant power gains the comanche is heavily modified, internal and external though. The cherokee has a high firepower ignition, Afe stage 2 intake, and a flowmaster super 44 muffler. I also plan on adding a catalytic converter cut out in the future. I believe that once I relieve the excess back pressure caused by the cat it will compliment and add to the spacers performance. Do you think it will still be worth it to keep it intalled in the long run, once all my mods are complete? Thanks for all your input guys.

wanna upgrade it a little better?

swap your cylinder head to a 1991-1995 head.

the '99 head restricts flow. that's why they made the intake so much larger and better flowing.

do this mod, throw away the throttle body spacer, and you will notice 15hp and 30ft/lb torque increase (roughly) and much better throttle response.

go one step further and go with a bored TB for ridiculous throttle response.

I've got a 1995 H.O. that's almost new with a full conversion in my 87 MJ. it has a mid-99+ intake on it with a bored 62mm TB and the throttle response is so good that it takes only a couple seconds to bounce off the rev limiter in sand type terrain, and I flat out smoke most other jeeps on the street (well, not so much now with the h20 in the transmission...)

I just installed a 1 inch trottle body spacer on my wifes 99' xj. I now have hood clearance issues between the top of throttle body and the afe intake I also have installed on it. Has anyone else ran into a problem like this. Any solutions out there?

If your AFE has a poly intake tube like the K&N does, it can be compressed by using a heat gun cautiously while squeezing it simultaneously w. a vise. I had to do this w. my K&N intake tube to provide clearance for the ZJ hood vent drip pans I installed, and got a good 1/2" of clearance and it worked well. But as other posters said w/o a bored throtle body and exhaust system mods the 1" spacer will do nothing. NEVER trust the olde butt dyno. :cheers: