towing a 2wd with a dolly

the good news is I am getting a 2nd mj with usable parts for $0, the bad news is that I no longer have the big ram truck which could pull it on a flatbed, I have a much smaller dakota which will only be able to pull it home on a tow dolly

its a 2wd with manual transmission, and I am going 70km, about 45 miles, do i need to disconnect the drive shaft? can I put it in neutral, or should I put it in 5th and pull it home

I've done a search on towing with a dolly but it the results turned up 4wd with 5spd and 2wd with automatic

what's my best option to get it home

I'm pretty sure on a manual you can put it in neutral and tow it home.

you might check around on hiring a tow truck. i was going to rent a dolly one time to take my truck to the repair shop. Seems like the dolly rental was like $50 from uhaul but the tow truck was only $35. I was only going 10 miles or so though.

Darn those neighbors that have thing yu can borrow. Otherwise a good alternative is a towbar. Still some around to rent for $20 and don't have to pull it around while empty. Easy enough to build one if planning on other acquisitions.

Darn those neighbors that have thing yu can borrow. Otherwise a good alternative is a towbar. Still some around to rent for $20 and don't have to pull it around while empty. Easy enough to build one if planning on other acquisitions.

what's the world coming to when neighbours and friends help each other out? ;)

yep throw it in nutral and run with it

an auto trans fluid has to be pumped to keep it cooled off

a manual is just full of lube that does not need to be pumped

so no motor running no pull d/s just throw in nutral and run with it :cheers:

If I wasn't familiar with the truck, I'd probably play it safe and strap the d-shaft up securely underneath the truck (if you didn't know, the driveshaft yoke is what keeps the gear oil inside the trans). But technically, putting the trans in neutral *should* work fine too. :thumbsup:

yea, most definitely DO NOT put it in gear while towing, unless you want to get a real good look at the inside of the engine... i used to work at a small garage a while back, and i put a motor in a yugo of all things cause some yuppie tried to tow it behind an rv in first gear... that poor motor blew to pieces..

yea, most definitely DO NOT put it in gear while towing, unless you want to get a real good look at the inside of the engine... i used to work at a small garage a while back, and i put a motor in a yugo of all things cause some yuppie tried to tow it behind an rv in first gear... that poor motor blew to pieces..

That's why he said 5th. Not only would it be the easiest of any gears to tow it in, but it would keep the RPMs down and it would be the same as driving that vehicle on the highway.

Yeah, towing it in 1st would blow the motor, since it'd probably be trying to spin the motor at 12000 rpm+.

Still, towing in any gear is still a bad, bad plan.

Yeah, towing it in 1st would blow the motor, since it'd probably be trying to spin the motor at 12000 rpm+..

Or... it drags your tires into oblivion. :teehee:

Image Not Found

How could you not notice that? :nuts: